New water line, starting from 0. What sizing and line should I run ~600ft in TX

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, my utility use Badger Recordall meters, and from their published data, at 20 gpm their meters will drop:

Model 25 5/8" 6 psi
Model 25 5/8" x 3/4" 4.6 psi
Model 35 3/4" 3.3 psi
Model 55 1" 1 psi
Model 70 1" 1 psi

Cheers, Wayne

I notice that the tables Terry has doesn't show 5/8 meters or even 3/4 with larger than 1 1/2" water service . sizing method for a particular code might not consider a 2 inch to carry more fixture units than a 1 1/2" . My code books are very old and haven't sized anything like this in a very long time. I have however had many jobs with meters that are probably undersized. they by no means generally need to be equal in size to to the house line

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mothers place had a 5/8" meter and a 3/4" copper line running 250 feet. And then after that a line was run further to the back yard.
Same meter but 1.5" PVC and allowed me to run irrigation on her 7/10 of an acre. It was a very deep lot. Even a 5/8" puts out a lot of water, and if you get rid of friction loss, you get to keep it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have a 11/2 water main located less then 50 feet from NYC water main with an 11/2 Meter 44 PSI

When the DEP tried to install a a 1" meter the Sloan Flushometers in 2 bathrooms top floor did not work properly .

So they opted to go back to the 11/2 meter so all 5 toilets, 2 bath tubs 2 showers etc

I explained to them that if someone is taking a shower and a flushometer is flushed there will be a volume drop and this could cause someone to be scalded . I did not bother to mention all my showers except one have anti scald shower body's

I could have installed the meter but NYC was doing upgrades for free so I just let them do it as I watched them to make sure it was installed properly . I am charged by actual water usage not by the size of the supply

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good Info sylvan! city to city state to state . different agencies treat billing differently . thanks for the sizing info haven't looked yet though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maybe some engineer could stamp a plan with 5/8 meter and 2 inch building line but I don't see anything like that in our codes in those long distance runs. I could only guess at the benefit of such a way to build might be ok but that's guess work . if there was already an existing meter I might go for it but otherwise I'd follow the book or accepted practice

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
maybe some engineer could stamp a plan with 5/8 meter and 2 inch building line but I don't see anything like that in our codes in those long distance runs. I could only guess at the benefit of such a way to build might be ok but that's guess work . if there was already an existing meter I might go for it but otherwise I'd follow the book or accepted practice

According to some updated plumbing codes new homes need to have a sprinkler system piped off the domestic supply.

By having a 2" supply with a properly sized meter adding a fire suppression system or adding more demand on the new main will not cause any problems in the future as demands increase

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
According to some updated plumbing codes new homes need to have a sprinkler system piped off the domestic supply.

By having a 2" supply with a properly sized meter adding a fire suppression system or adding more demand on the new main will not cause any problems in the future as demands increase
Yes true Sylvan many places , nearly all I work on require fire sprinklers and it very often seriously increases water service size that I belive is why my home has an 1 1/2 50 foot service with 80 to 140 psi. Ive had to run 2 inch on many homes based on the fire sprink needs.
BTW, you 2 referances on sizing is very helpful , all of this stuff Ive know but pretty rusty and the you tube videos I recomend as well , " bg's plumbing class "on you tube is great! your link to ask the builder directed me to his channel. Its upc code which is my code

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks