New sump pump system running to frequently

Users who are viewing this thread

David Frazier

Reaction score
Hope someone can give me some advise!!!
I live in an older home built in the early 1940’s, it has a cellar. In 2010 we had a local creek flood, my house is about 100 yards from the creek. My cellar had an old concrete sump pit with a cheap 1/3 hp vertical pump, it could keep up with the inflow of water (the power went off also), 4 feet of water in the basement. The cellar has poured concrete walls, the only place it leaks is at the floor joint. Luckily the water equalized at 4’ (ground water pressure vs head pressure of the water in the cellar). So I got this bright idea to but a new sump system in so I call a local company they came out and talked me into a 3 pump system, two electric pumps 1/3 hp, 1/2 hp, a battery backup pump, and a perforated sump liner. I told the salesman I live in a high water table area, he said it will work.
Now to my problem when it rains the first pump runs 15 to 20 seconds off 20 seconds this goes on for a day or so. The it reduces time off 30 sec, then 40, then 50 and so on until it finally shuts off. I’ve tried everything, put electronic start and stop controls which gave me a little more off time but very little. This past storm the electricity went out the battery back up worked until the battery went out it was starting every 10 seconds and ran for 20 sec.; luckily power came back on before a lot of water got in the basement. I’m thinking I need to go back to a solid sump liner. Are there any with as problem or any thoughts. The company I went with has kinds washed their hands. Thanks for your replies.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m thinking I need to go back to a solid sump liner.
I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you want to not have inlets into a replacement sump, and only collect water that had made it onto the basement floor? There is a good chance that the concrete sump you have is connected to the perimeter pipes around the house.

One thing I have thought about is another big (plastic) sump set next to the existing concrete sump. They would connect with a pipe. This would give more capacity, and more room. Some pump could go into the new sump.

David Frazier

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you want to not have inlets into a replacement sump, and only collect water that had made it onto the basement floor? There is a good chance that the concrete sump you have is connected to the perimeter pipes around the house.

One thing I have thought about is another big (plastic) sump set next to the existing concrete sump. They would connect with a pipe. This would give more capacity, and more room. Some pump could go into the new sump.

David Frazier

Reaction score
I don’t have a concrete sump pump liner any more. I replaced it with the triple safe sump system picture is below. It has a perforated plastic liner. My pump runs to frequently as stated above, I think since I have such a high water table I need to replace the liner with one with no holes or with one that has holes near the top so I’m not pumping water 2’ below the cellar’s floor.
Thanks for your help

59CAB67F-629E-42AD-A72E-26085C029BE3.jpeg

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Can't you just adjust the level at which the (float) switch starts and stops the pump?

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Looks like this is the 1/3hp pump that is the primary.

Does the float have room to swing up around the attachment point, or does it simply move straight up and down?

20200416_105332.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks