New Sink Drain Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

moflow

Reaction score
A contractor recently installed a new Kohler sink in my bathroom with a Moen Eva faucet and drain. I noticed it wasn't holding water with the pop-up stopper handle pulled all the way up. I figured out that the water was actually escaping between the porcelain sink and the metal drain. Gunk is appearing where the water is draining improperly (see photo). The water is still going down the drain, and fortunately not in a puddle under the sink.

I'm having the contractor return soon. But first I want to know what did they do wrong, so that it can be fixed properly. Did they not use plumbers putty, caulk, or something else? Perhaps it was over tightened and cracked?

The retaining nut with the pivot rod doesn't face directly toward the rod, so there is a small angle between the horizontal rod and the stopper rod/clevis strap. The contractor previously said that's fine. Is he right?

Attachments

• Sink-Drain-1.jpg
    Sink-Drain-1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 165

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT appears the only thing he did wrong was not to put a sealant under the drain flange. Sometimes you can get away with it if everything is perfectly smooth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks