New shower - valve and trim questions

Users who are viewing this thread

SHOWER

Reaction score
Outfitting new shower with fixtures. Walls are all open and work is to be done by a pro but I am picking out the fixtures. Doing a ton of research trying to understand all the different options. I have a good handle on what is going on but here are some questions:

1) I have narrowed down my selections to either DELTA or MOEN. I have looked at Grohe, Hansgrohe, and Brizo (Delta) and concluded that either they don't offer enough additional benefit or don't have trim styles that I really like - please correct me if I am wrong. I am after the valve quality and trim quality above all. It seems like the forum used to be behind Delta heavily but now it isn't so clear. Frankly, it seems like most things have gone to junk plastic and it's hard to find anything decent even at a high price point.
1a) What brand valve do you like these days?
1b) What trims do you recommend based on quality of construction (aka lack of plastic)?

2) I am trying super hard to avoid the issue where the trim ends up sitting extremely proud of the wall. I have seen numerous threads of this issue in the context of Moen but it's been mentioned that it can happen with any brand. Is Delta (or any other brand) any better in this regard? 2x4" construction in the shower, if it helps. How can I help myself and make sure the trim sits as flush as possible?

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is plan ahead for your plumber.

The best and only way to be sure is to account for wall material thickness.

youll need to account for all materials including any furring from the studs out.

youll need a tile sample and a plan of buildout.

typical tile shower wall thickness is 1 - 1-1/4 inch as a general guide.

your case will be specific to your buildout/materials

SHOWER

Reaction score
Thanks for the super fast reply! I figured that was the case. We're already deep into tile selection so that should help a lot!

Any thoughts on shower valves?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you calculate the depth of the valve PRECISELY, and the handle is not where you want it, you will have to get an extension and that will put the handle where the manufacturer's specifications would have had it originally. The way the handle LOOKS on a display board is NOT how the manufacturer or engineers designed it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are now national codes, started in CA, that limit the amount of lead in plumbing fixtures. THat means that plastic bits are more common. Also consider that an all-metal valve could get quite hot from the hot water supply unless insulated, and plastic makes that both cheaper and easier.

The only reliable way to get the valve positioned as you prefer, is to have it in hand and mock up the wall. Most manufacturers have a min/max, but you may prefer it closer to one end of that range than the other. If between the min/max, that only guarantees that the trim will fit, not that you will like it.

Delta's R10000 rough-in valve gives you lots of choices: single handle pressure balanced; two handle, temp/volume; two handle, thermostatic, temperature. Any one of those can fit in the rough-in valve, and you could change your mind later on.

SHOWER

Reaction score
Thanks for more replies, appreciate it. I mostly was looking for metal in things you touch. Spending good money on something that feels cheap is always a bummer.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommend Symmons?

RicksHouse

Reaction score
OP, I'm in an almost identical situation to yourself, also with 2x4 wall. My plumber doesn't seem to have any preference for valves/fixtures. I was originally leaning towards Grohe only because that's what my plumber has in his house, but reading this forum is making me think about other options.

My top goal is reliability with asthetics and quality feel also important. We will have a regular shower head and separate rainfall shower.

What did you end up going with?

Does anyone else have recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I've had good luck with Grohe fixtures in my home. From a flexibility viewpoint, the Delta R10000 rough-in gives you lots of flexibility as to what try and functionality is available, but they do tend to have more plastic in them then the Grohe designs I've dealt with. I think their plating is thicker, too. I think Grohe may now have a rough-in that is similar to the Delta one, but haven't researched it.

RicksHouse

Reaction score
Personally, I've had good luck with Grohe fixtures in my home. From a flexibility viewpoint, the Delta R10000 rough-in gives you lots of flexibility as to what try and functionality is available, but they do tend to have more plastic in them then the Grohe designs I've dealt with. I think their plating is thicker, too. I think Grohe may now have a rough-in that is similar to the Delta one, but haven't researched it.
Thanks jadnashua. I had no idea picking a shower valve would be so hard with no real clear winners. Looks like I will be going with Grohe since no clearly superior brands and the wife seems slightly partial to the name.

SWong

Reaction score
Outfitting new shower with fixtures. Walls are all open and work is to be done by a pro but I am picking out the fixtures. Doing a ton of research trying to understand all the different options. I have a good handle on what is going on but here are some questions:

1) I have narrowed down my selections to either DELTA or MOEN. I have looked at Grohe, Hansgrohe, and Brizo (Delta) and concluded that either they don't offer enough additional benefit or don't have trim styles that I really like - please correct me if I am wrong. I am after the valve quality and trim quality above all. It seems like the forum used to be behind Delta heavily but now it isn't so clear. Frankly, it seems like most things have gone to junk plastic and it's hard to find anything decent even at a high price point.
1a) What brand valve do you like these days?
1b) What trims do you recommend based on quality of construction (aka lack of plastic)?

2) I am trying super hard to avoid the issue where the trim ends up sitting extremely proud of the wall. I have seen numerous threads of this issue in the context of Moen but it's been mentioned that it can happen with any brand. Is Delta (or any other brand) any better in this regard? 2x4" construction in the shower, if it helps. How can I help myself and make sure the trim sits as flush as possible?
I completed a full basement bathroom renovation 3 years ago and like yourself researched and performed due diligence way more time than I could count. In the end we settled on Grohe it's been 3+ years of reliable trouble-free service. Like yourself I personally wasn't too thrilled with what was out there much of which were either plastic or a mix of brass and plastic. In the end the compelling need was for not only long term reliability, parts availability, manufacturers warranty, and last....aesthetics. Paid quite a bit over all the domestic grands however wife is happy ..... happy wife is a happy life! Simple stuff such as a chromed brass shower stubout sold by Grohe are made amazingly well but over $50...I'm talking solid brass chromed beautifully. Sure you can get something cheaper but I swear the one sold by Grohe will never rot out, is easily removed with a strap wrench and takes a simple wipe to clean. Only advice I can give you is don't cheap out on the valving. Tim pieces can be changed easily however what's "behind the wall" should be your major worry...you don't want to go behind the wall for at least 20+ years if something bad occurs. Pic's attached!

DSC00228.JPG
DSC00193.JPG
DSC00058.JPG
DSC00178.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 187
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks