New shower stall drain is larger than existing pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikerios

Reaction score
I am remodeling an older building, Much of the drain system is built into concrete. The drain system is 1-1/2".
I need to replace the shower stalls, but all the stalls come with a 2" drain. But I know it is not OK to reduce the pipe size in a drain system. How can I solve this problem?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You can replace the drain assembly at the shower base with a 1.5" drain. Going from a larger to smaller pipe after the trap is what is prohibited.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What the UPC says is that it is OK to install a shower which normally requires a 2" drain in a location where you are changing the tub to a shower provided that only 1 showerhead is operable at a time. Most inspectors will want a Bushing into the drain body itself, but I like to use a reducing coupling which is later more readily upgraded to 2" pipe if the place is ever re-piped.. In your case under a slab.. do whichever is easiest.. but the reduction should occur on the vertical before the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks