New indirect tank circulator pump running constantly after install

Users who are viewing this thread

Ctreefer

Reaction score
Just had my 30 yo amtrol indirect 50gal tank replaced today with a new 35sl unit. Everytime I go to check on the unit the circulator pump is running. It never did this on the previous unit. Just when it called for heat. Is this normal? Line to and from boiler is hot all the time. Seems odd to me and will call them in the morning. Seems like my pump would burn out prematurely this way.

Ctreefer

Reaction score
Seems based on what it’s doing that the tank is going to heat up to whatever the boiler temp is rather than what the tank thermostat is set at

Ctreefer

Reaction score
Just popped open the thermostat box and it was set to about 145. I tried adjusting downward all the way to 120 and pump continues to run. Install was finished about 6 hours ago. Boiler temp is set to 140lo, 150hi

Ctreefer

Reaction score
Just did. Hoping they come by tomorrow to resolve. Aside from this, really impressed with the new tank versus my 30yo unit. Old unit was very warm to the touch when running while this one is cool to the touch while running 10-15 degrees hotter. I had installed a water tank insulation blanket to the old unit when I moved in, but this one it won’t be necessary. Plus with smaller volume tank hoping to see the oil boiler running less frequently. In the past, during non heating season the boiler would use on average about 30 gallons per month or 1 gallon per day. Maybe I can shave that by 30% or more.

Ctreefer

Reaction score
Just a follow up. Looks like the new indirect wasn’t compatible with my old aquastat so they had to install a new taco control unit which now controls all my zones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks