New house, old well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a pump/well greenhorn!
When we moved in here, there was a 2" or so pipe sticking out of the ground in back yard with a 45 degree elbow.I'm told thats a driven well. Looks like they had a pump at one time. I tried last year to attach a pump to it with no results.
I dropped a fishing weight down the pipe this year to check for a "plunk". at about 10' I got a splash, and the weight dropped about another 10.

Basically I wanted some advice on where to begin and what to buy?

thanks!
kevin

Speedbump

Reaction score
I just got here.

I would try using a hand pump if you can find one. That is about the most positive suction you can put on a hand driven well. Put your hand over the spout and pour water in to the top of the spouts sides, then go to pumping. You will get a lot of air for a few minutes then water should start to flow. The amount of water you can put in a five gallon bucket in so many seconds will tell you how many gallons per minute the well is capable of. If you can get five or better, go get you a shallow well jet pump and plumb it in. By the way, I sell pumps if your in the market.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's a heck of a price. I wonder where they get them. I pay more than that for the ones I sell. There is also the Oasis Plastic Hand Pump (scroll down) they are a nice little hand pump and weigh less than the cast iron models. I'm not sure what they are talking about with the 1-1/2" TPI. It should be 1-1/4" FPT (female pipe thread).

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Raucina

Reaction score
They get them from a foundry in Dang-Wanger China that relies heavily on twelve year olds working 14 hour days to pack the moulds.

I think they have a 1 hp jet pump with bladder tank on sale now for 29$ [!!]...That might last a few hours - enough to test the well.

Sell it at a yard sale for 59$ when you buy a real pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I knew their stuff was a little bit on the cheapie side, but apparently they have gone all Chinese.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
speedbump said:
That's a heck of a price. I wonder where they get them. I pay more than that for the ones I sell.
Oops, sorry, I wouldn't have brought-up HF had I known you sold them. :eek:

BTW when/if those Chinese twelve-year-olds grow up & come to the U.S., we can hire them to haul all the blankety-blank catalogs they mail to the landfill! :p

Speedbump

Reaction score
Good idea, without all the junk mail everyone gets, we could probably close 1/2 of the landfills.

No problem on the Harbor Freight, most people know what their stuff is worth.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks