New electric heater - Dirty from start and won't flush clean

Users who are viewing this thread

gdh

Reaction score
Previous heater had been in place for 19 years without a single noise. Installed A.O. Smith Sig 100 40 gallon. Installed by the book - tank filled and all air expelled before power up. Heats without a sound. Next day when it heats you can hear it 3 rooms away - light whistle, popping etc. Next day drain and pull elements. Elements are heavily coated with brown scale as well as the edge of the element threads in the heater. Replace and fill tank again. Heats silently. By next day the noise starts and gets louder during the day. Next day to satisfy mfg drained again - replaced elements - documented (video) the start up steps. Same results.

To get a closer look at whats inside I flushed the tank through a cloth. Then filled and cold water flushed it 12 times! The results of whats in tank can be seen on the pics - the darkest the 1st and the lighter the 12th flush. If you rub your finger on it, it feels greasy and stains. This tank will not clean. Our city water has never been a problem and the water entering this tank is clear and all pipes are copper or pex.

As the mfg is dragging feet - any idea what could be in this tank that won't clean.

Attachments

• Flush 1.jpg
    Flush 1.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Flush 12.jpg
    Flush 12.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there a water softener? if yes, bypass the softener & repeat. The new anode rod could be reacting? After 19 years on the old unit, there probably wasn't any anode rod left. If you have the muscle, remove the anode rod and cap off with a plug. Give that a try.

I have AO Smith Proline installed last Oct, no issues.

Just may have to call a local plumber. One might have come across this before.

Eman85

Reaction score
I just installed the same exact WH from Lowes. I can hear it heat if I'm near it but its not very loud FWIW.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
if you got it from Lowes, they are sub-standard compaired to the units sold at the supply houses...

I suggest you just claim it is leaking and have it replaced under warranty
if you think something is fishey with the steel in
that water heater,,,,
they wont fight you much over this... just be sure to pour some water down
through the top of the heater before you take it back ...LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks