New Delta tub fixture leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Ican'ttakeit

Reaction score
I just had an upstairs full bathroom remodeled. The tub spout has been leaking since it was installed. It is the Delta Trinsic shower fixtures with the diverter and side spray. The plumber has been back at least 10 times now, and I have to educate myself and try and solve this problem. The faucet drips almost exactly every 10 minutes, for about 30 seconds. Regardless of whether the shower has been used at all, regardless of anything else going on in the house. I am home alone, it's quiet and the faucet will suddenly drip very quickly for about 30 seconds and then stop and do nothing for another 10 minutes. This goes on forever. I leave a bowl under it and it fills about half a bowl a day. So if I go away for a week the bowl is overflowing.

The plumber replaced the cartridge. He tested the pressure on the water heater (?) with the gauge and it came up no issues. I'm not sure what else he has done, but it never changes anything. He told me to try and get a new valve. I called Delta and they said this wouldn't be caused by a valve issue because that would cause leakage in the wall and not through the spout. They said that often the adapter is bad and a new cartridge would correct that (is the adapter part of the cartridge). I told them he replaced the cartridge but they said it has to be a very specific cartridge and that they would send me the correct one. When I described the problem though, he said it didn't sound like a typical adapter problem and sounded more like a water pressure issue. He asked if they replaced the water valves inside the wall (?) and I said I don't know. The bathroom was totally gutted. He recommended I tell the plumber to flush the water out, 5 times for 35 seconds. I told the plumber this. This has been going on for a month though, and wouldn't the problem have corrected itself by now if flushing could solve it or no?

I will try the new part that Delta is sending but it seems like if I want this plumber to investigate other causes, I need to tell him exactly what to do as if I know what the heck is going on behind the walls because he seems out of ideas.

Thank you!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the installation steps on most of these things is to have the cartridge removed, then flush the lines prior to installing the cartridge the first time. Most of the time, skipping this step doesn't create a problem. But, if there is some debris in the line and you don't flush it the first time, that debris can get into the cartridge, or worst case, score the body of the valve. If it got into the cartridge, replacing it should fix things. If it scored the brass body of the valve, you have to replace the valve body.

Ican'ttakeit

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. Delta sent me part RP46463"Cartridge Adaptor" and the plumber installed it and the dripping has stopped. I guess it had to be the Delta part and not whatever parts he had obtained from the hardware store when he was trying to fix the problem...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks