Neutra Sul vs 35% Food Grade H2O2

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I've been buying 35% food grade H2O2 for my system from a chemical warehouse.

The Neutra Sul is what most of the water treatment guys are selling. It is only 7% H2O2. It has stabilizers to extend the shelf life of the H2O2 up to 5 times. I'm curious if the stabilizers are a marketing gimmick? My 59 kg container of 35% food grade H2O2 lasts almost two years. I'm at the bottom of a jug right now, with my Stenner running at 1. In short, I haven't had to dial it up.

Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
How would you detect if your H2O2 had degraded? If you could come up with a quantitive test, it would be interesting to use that test on the current bottle vs the new bottle.

Beets

Reaction score
I don't think it is degrading significantly because I don't have to turn up the H2O2 over time. Admittedly, it might have to lose 3/4 of it's strength to be noticeable. It was more a question if anyone else has noticed H2O2 degrading.

Myrastomean

Reaction score
I've used both Neutra Sul and 35% food-grade H2O2. While Neutra Sul is convenient for smaller systems, the 35% food-grade H2O2 offers more potency and lasts longer. The stabilizers in Neutra Sul might help extend shelf life, but I found the pure 35% H2O2 to be more effective for my needs. If you're happy with your current setup and dosing, sticking with what works for you is a great choice! And, if you want to get even heathier, check out these organic natural foods. I hope that helps!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I've used both Neutra Sul and 35% food-grade H2O2. While Neutra Sul is convenient for smaller systems, the 35% food-grade H2O2 offers more potency and lasts longer.
Lasts longer how? Time before refilling the solution tank, or shelf life?

https://www.purewaterstore.com/pro-products-neutra-sul-sanitizing-oxidizer.html has this:
The stabilizer in Neutral Sul results in 5 times the shelf life of standard 7% peroxide.

Solution stored at 72° (F)​
Neutra Sul​
7% Hydrogen
Peroxide​
Intial %​
7.19​
7.27​
%after
week 4​
7.12​
6.53​
%after
week 8​
7.07​
5.83​

Solution stored at 100° (F)​
Neutra Sul​
7% Hydrogen
Peroxide​
Intial %​
7.19​
7.27​
%after
week 4​
7.12​
5.29​
%after
week 8​
7.07​
3.37​

I did not find the original study that that table came from.

It looks to me as if you might want to put your H2O2 in the refrigerator. Or at least in the coolest area that you have space in.

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you for this! My 35% must have stabilizers, because it seems quite potent after 2 years. But I don't see stabilizer mentioned on the datasheet, but it isn't a very detailed datasheet.

I just changed to a new container. It will be interesting to see if I notice a big difference in residual H2O2. Unfortunately, I had to change my Stenner pump setting to help purge the air out of the line when I did the change, so I will have a marginally different stenner setting when I get it lined out again.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
H2o2 is easy to use since overdosing tends to not be a problem as the byproducts are oxygen. Overdosing chlorine can be a mess and tends to be obvious unless you have a carbon tank or similar system post injection. your 35% H2o2 is fine, but it is also far more dangerous than 7%. As an EHS trainer, we try to use 7% in most applications for the sole reason that it is safe compared to 35%. If you get it on your skin, spill it on the ground, or if your dosing pump runs away, the potential for harm is greatly reduced with lower percentage solutions. This is one of the reasons we use soda ash instead of sodium hydroxide when possible.

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you. I have a carbon tank post injection so if I overdose with chlorine or H2O2, it isn't obvious.

Thank you for the reminder on the safety with the 35% H2O2. What PPE do you use when handling H2O2? I'm guessing you aren't changing over tanks in bare feet and shorts.

Beets

Reaction score
For me, the H2O2 is for H2S (or rotten egg smell). It is not a good disinfectant. I normally treat to have a residual of 2 to 10 ppm before the carbon filter, but I have slime growing throughout my system. Even at 100 ppm, the slime thrives.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks