Need to plug open pipe sleeve in foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

John in GA

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home and noticed that there is an open 2" pipe sleeve running through the foundation wall. Apparently, the builder was going to run the water main through the front of the house and later decided to run it in through the back. This section of pipe is below grade on the outside of the foundation - when I shine a flashlight in it, I see dirt. It has resulted in some moderate leaking in heavy rain, and I want to plug it, but here's the problem I'm encountering: I can't cap it because the pipe is cut flush with the foundation wall. I bought a 2" plug, but the outer diameter is something like 2.25". I need one whose outer diameter matches the 2" inner diameter of the pipe sleeve. I went to a plumbing supply store yesterday and they said they don't make plugs that fit the inside of a 2" pipe, which is hard to believe. The 1.5" plug is about a sixteenth of an inch too narrow to fit.

Right now, I've got a knockout plug in it, but that's not a long-term fix. I could chisel the pipe out and fill the hole with hydraulic cement, but that's a huge pain. Does anyone know if/where I can get a regular schedule 40 non-threaded plug for a pipe with a 2" inner diameter?

Attachments

• IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 478

John in GA

Reaction score
a regular 2" test plug will work.

OK, that's what i've got in there now. I was reluctant to glue it in, in case it wasn't the right long-term fix. If you think it will hold up, then do you recommend I glue it in? The guys at the plumbing supply store recommended Rain-R-Shine.

Thanks for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks