Need hindsight for serviceability when installing a pot filler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Skhunt42

Reaction score
I installed a new pot filler and picked up a 1/2 brass extension to clear the backsplash. Now thinking about it, I needed a pipe wrench to secure the extension onto the pot filler and then into the drop in 90.

The extension is round so it needed a pipe wrench to tighten. They did not sell any with a hex end. If I remove the pot filler in the future I’m worried I’ll never be able to get the extension out without destroying the backsplash.

Will it be possible for a plumber in the future to service this pot filler without destroying the backsplash? Maybe a special socket could be used?

I want things to be easy for the next guy (including me)

6DB74DCC-0043-47B4-9C28-AF881A86A761.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make two kinds of easy-outs, or pipe nipple extractors. A plumber should have those with his tools, but it doesn't hurt to remind them to look for it before they come out.

nipple-extractor-terrylove-02.jpg
pipe_extractor.jpg

husky-nipple-extractor-set.jpg

Skhunt42

Reaction score
They make two kinds of easy-outs, or pipe nipple extractors. A plumber should have those with his tools, but it doesn't hurt to remind them to look for it before they come out.

nipple-extractor-terrylove-02.jpg
pipe_extractor.jpg

husky-nipple-extractor-set.jpg

Perfect, funny because it ended up leaking and I had to pull everything out. I did not add enough Teflon.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I'm adding a nipple extender or a nipple onto a fixture that I absolutely want to come out of the wall with the fixture, I add some locktite to the back of the threads.

Skhunt42

Reaction score
When I'm adding a nipple extender or a nipple onto a fixture that I absolutely want to come out of the wall with the fixture, I add some locktite to the back of the threads.

Loctite on the fixture side? How does that work with Teflon? That’s a great idea. I also thought of it but I wasn’t sure if it would be counter intuitive with sealing the leak. Also, is it safe for a pot filler? I don’t ever drink tap water but I will be using it for boiling tea/soup.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
there is a certain amount of threads that make threaded joints. Threaded joints are sealed by the engagement of the first couple threads, the rest of them just pull and hold the fitting together. Thread tape applied to the leading edge where it seals and Locktite 7557 (safe for water applications) after that just to make the threads grip the nipple that you want to stay with the fixture when its removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks