Need help on how to remove Delta Scald Guard single-lever tub/shower handle. Don't have the model #.

Users who are viewing this thread

rj147000

Reaction score
Can someone help me with the instructions to remove the Delta single-lever tub/shower handle. Picture attached. There is no screw in the handle only a hole in the center of the handle but I can't see what is inside. Thanks in advance.

Steven
20230327_182005_resized.jpg

rj147000

Reaction score
They corrode on the valve stem interface. Wiggle and pull off or there are two variety of plumbing tools called a handle puller.
Thank you for your reply Breplum. I am still trying to pull it out but it is very tight. May have to go for a handle puller. If I use a puller to get the handle off, will this causes any damage to the cartridge unit / existing pluming (pipes) ? Judging from the picture I uploaded, it appears the set screw is missing or was removed by the previous owner (not sure why).

rj147000

Reaction score
They corrode on the valve stem interface. Wiggle and pull off or there are two variety of plumbing tools called a handle puller.
Hi Breplum, I have bought the handle puller but no luck so far. I can't tell (can't see inside the hole in the center of the handle) if there is still a "broken screw" inside. Any suggestions you can offer ? Thanks in advance.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a Delta. Is there a Delta stamped somewhere on ut?

If there is a screw its usually stainless steel with a phillips head, and the cartridge stem is either brass or plastic. If there is one you'll need a #1 phillips. Also, look around the handle for any set screws. The cartridge stem is probably brass since the pot metal handle has frozen onto the brass due to hard water deposits and electrolysis. Using a plastic hammer or a plastic handle of a screw driver, give good raps around the entire handle to try to break the corrosion. Having a little pressure using the puller may help.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 11.12.35 PM.jpg

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Older Deltas look like this. Maybe the handle was an off the shelf universal replacement handle and it was jammed on the stem?

DEL-642-KIT.jpg

Last edited:

rj147000

Reaction score
Older Deltas look like this. Maybe the handle was an office the shelf universal replacement handle and it was jammed on the stem?

DEL-642-KIT.jpg
Thank you for the info. It is a Delta Scald-Guard but not sure the model. It could be the 1600 series. Would you happen to know how to remove the existing handle (as per the picture I uploaded). I tried using a handle puller today and no luck so far.

rj147000

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. It is a Delta Scald-Guard but not sure the model. It could be the 1600 series. Would you happen to know how to remove the existing handle (as per the picture I uploaded). I tried using a handle puller today and no luck so far.
Also, there is no screw on the handle. There is a hole in the center of the handle (see picture I uploaded). The screw appears to be missing but not sure if it was broken and still inside the hole. Can't see what is inside.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Here is the replacement cartridge. Definitely a screw holding the handle.

Here is a handle. If the handle rotates and the handle travels vertically to open the faucet, it might confim my thoughts that that is not the original handle.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drill a hole in the center. Start with a small bit and work your way up until it comes off.

rj147000

Reaction score
Here is the replacement cartridge. Definitely a screw holding the handle.

Here is a handle. If the handle rotates and the handle travels vertically to open the faucet, it might confim my thoughts that that is not the original handle.
Thank you for the information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks