Need Fire Pit Help - Gas Stopping at Control Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

BlackDeal

Reaction score
Hello experts! I could use some advice on what is wrong with my fire pit.

We received the fire pit for free from someone who no longer used it. Here is a link to it at Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-Bond-Signature-36-6-in-W-50000-BTU-Brown-Composite-Fire-Table/50037280

I have not been able to get it to work yet. I have taken the whole thing apart and tested everything to make sure there were no clogs in the lines. I have also gotten a new control valve and thermocouple.

So, when everything is together, I cannot light it or get it to stay lit. I have been able to light it and keep it lit if I hold the control knob in. Once I take the pressure off of it, the flame goes out.

I don't know the technical terms, so please forgive me if I do not explain this correctly. I have figured out that the control knob pushes open the valve at the end where the thermocouple connects. I am guessing that when you open the valve, the gas pressure is supposed to keep that valve open? Is that correct? How can I overcome this issue?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I used the lp regulator and hose (which works) from my grill to make sure it was not a broken regulator.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the technical terms, so please forgive me if I do not explain this correctly. I have figured out that the control knob pushes open the valve at the end where the thermocouple connects. I am guessing that when you open the valve, the gas pressure is supposed to keep that valve open? Is that correct?
The heat from the pilot flame heats the end of the thermocouple. That generates an electric current that keeps the gas valve open. If the thermocouple is not getting enough heat, or if there is a problem with the thermocouple, then the valve will not stay open, even if you hold the button for enough time after the pilot is lit.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If theres either a thermocouple or powerpile turn knob just off the off position push knob in and hold it in light pilot hold knob in for 1 minute, let go of knob pilot should be on. Turn knob

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your folowing direction and lighting like fitter30 says its usually a thermalcouple bad if its got decent flame hitting the thermal couple proper it should stay lit. bad thermal couple or control valve

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thermocouple puts out 25-30milivolts powerpile that either looks like a match book or 3/8" rod about 1 .5" long both have 2 wires 600-750 mv. Either one disconnent from the gas valve clean the connections if you a meter and a second set of hands lite the pilot measure the voltage.

Last edited:

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a regulator on the lp tank?

Did you install the new thermocouple? I know you said you had one but did you install it?

I’ve had luck scraping the end, cleaning the connectors and then even after it’s installed holding a flame to the end to get it hot. Basically light manually and hold a flame on the end of the thermocouple.

Thermocouples use dissimilar metals to create the electrical voltage needed and that added heat generates the voltage needed I suspect.

also make sure the thermocouple is positioned correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks