Nearly constant septic smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Rebecca7968

Reaction score
We are having trouble with a severe septic smell. It was an occasional occurrence when we moved in a year ago. And it only happened on windy days. Then over the winter our ancient septic system died on us. The owner didn't even know where the tank was to have it pumped. So we ended up just putting in a new tank and infiltration system. Then the smell got worse. It also began happening whether it was windy or not. So we put in a back-flow prevention valve. No improvement. We put fittings on the vent pipes thinking that maybe the wind was hitting them at an angle causing a vacuum and drying out the p-traps. No improvement. We ran water down the vents to make sure they weren't plugged. No improvement. It's really horrible. We get the smell almost every day. If we keep a trickle of water running in the bathroom sink and tub it helps but does not eliminate it. I am getting very upset about this because I am home all day with 3 kids, one of which is only 4 months old. I am afraid this is going to affect him long-term. Please help!

Atomic1

Reaction score
Maybe file an insurance claim and see if they send out an engineer to investigate for pipe breaks?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get some cheap plastic dropcloths, and cover your plumbing stuff. Then when you smell something, lift the dropcloths to sniff beneath. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-Plastic-Drop-Cloth-0-7-Mil-3-Pack/17217856 Also, some masking tape may help holding the plastic in place. The nose desensitizes, so you might enlist a fresh nose or two to help with sniffing. Ideally you will be able to isolate a source.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Here is the solution report on what was originally thought to be a sewer smell: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sewer-gas-mystery.63431/page-5#post-489105 That was a long and painful and expensive situation, as you would see if you look back over the whole thread. I am not saying that is your situation, but it shows the unexpected is possible.

Edit: Note there are smoke tests and peppermint tests. For the peppermint test, it is important that he who drops the peppermint oil into the vent must not come inside to sniff. That person is reported to always smell of peppermint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there an area in the house where the odor is stronger such as in the bathroom or the kitchen etc. ? Some pictures of the plumbing under the sinks might reveal some clues. I would sniff at the base of the toilet to see if that is where it is coming from. Try sniffing the tub and or shower drains to see if it cold be coming from there and any other similar drains. .....Sometimes sewer odor can be pulled in at the exhaust for a gas hot water heater if the sewer vent is too close together or at other exhaust vents. ....The odor might be coming from an Air Admittance Valve (AAV) that has failed and is allowing sewer gas to vent into the house. They are designed to let air into the vents but not to let sewer odor out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks