Navien NPE-180A2 lost EMS data

Users who are viewing this thread

coolgreany

Reaction score
I recently was away for 3 weeks and the house was vacant. I turned off our Navien NPE-180A2 at the circuit breaker before I left..

When I came back, my EMS historical settings for the previous months had zeroed out.

The unit started logging new usage again except for the re-circulation data. It was logging everything including the re-circulation data prior to leaving.

All my other settings under the installer menu that I had set changed from the default settings were still intact so it's not like the unit did a complete factory reset or anything.

Does anyone have any idea why that happened? Is it possible the check valve or something else has failed?

We have the Navicirc valve installed in the master bathroom sink and no other settings were changed since we left. The only difference is I disabled the power from the unit for a few weeks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The check valve fail symptom is temperature drift. We are seeing them fail after a matter of months sometimes. This is due in our case, to chloramine as the disinfectant in our utility water supply.

coolgreany

Reaction score
@Breplum thanks. Can you please explain what you mean by "temporary drift"? Our local water authority uses Chloramine.

Sounds like a bad check valve would not cause the EMS to fail to track the re-circulation time?

Any thoughts on the cause of the EMS to not register re-circulation time? In future, I'll just turn the unit off using the power button versus the circuit breaker assuming that causes a problem.

Should I do a factory reset to see if that fixes the issue?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
temperature drift means not keeping the set temp at a fixture. Folks notice it at the shower more than anyplace but can be at any fixture. No it would not affect anything else. Ask Navien tech desk if they will talk to you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect the program settings will be stored in non-volatile memory to ensure the settings will remain programmed even when there is no power for an extended period

Since usage history is not as critical and may change often, that data maybe stored in volatile memory. To prevent loss of the history data during an occasional power outage, there is likely a short term rechargeable backup power supply such as a capacitor, but since backup power capacity will be limited, it likely it ran out of power while no external power was being supplied for an extended time period, so the data was likely deleted.

Last edited:

coolgreany

Reaction score
it likely it ran out of power while no external power was being supplied for an extended time period, so the data was likely deleted.

I agree that's what happened. It just seems strange the other EMS data returned to normal data collection but the recirculation time is remaining at zero hours even after 2 weeks back in operation. I'll give it another week and maybe try a factory reset.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks