Users who are viewing this thread

Chris needs help

Reaction score
OK, I can't believe how difficult it has been to find information/know-how regarding what seems to be a very straight forward problem / solution.

My current NG supply is 6 wc, which after making appliance additions to my residence now is inadequate (current demand is 400 BTU max for 6 NG appliances (Furnace, Water heater, Fireplace, Grill, Dryer, Stovetop). If the furnace and water heater are running, the grill won't light. Incredibly frustrating. Solution: More pressure or repipe with larger diameter pipe. The smart money is to increase pressure. Fortunately:

My NG provider is willing to up my PSI output from the meter to 2 PSI (54"+ wc), but first I have to install a NG regulator to bring it down to .5 PSI output. I would prefer to install one regulator on the main line (1") from the meter to bring the pressure down vs. separate regulators for each appliance (seems silly and unnecessary work). Question: What is my solution? Specifically, what regulator should I install on the mainline?

Reminders:
  • 1" line from the meter. I would like the regulator to be inline 1" in and out.
  • If regulator is installed in the main line, it must be able to support 400,000 BTU with 2 lb pressure in and 11-14 wc out.
  • The longest line from the meter is 100'
  • All branch pipes are 1/2"
PLEASE be specific on regulator: Brand, model #, etc.

I know this has to be an easy solution, however the local "pros" have been unable to provide any reliable guidance. Straightforward responses will be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for time/advice.

Chris.

Reach4

Reaction score
My NG provider is willing to up my PSI output from the meter to 2 PSI (54"+ wc), but first I have to install a NG regulator to bring it down to .5 PSI output. I would prefer to install one regulator on the main line (1") from the meter to bring the pressure down vs. separate regulators for each appliance (seems silly and unnecessary work).
The point of having higher gas pressure is to get a lot more BTU through a given sized pipe.

If you install a single regulator at the beginning, there is not much point moving away from 6 WC. With 6" WC, the gas company provides your master regulator in that case.

I am curious, what will the gas company charge you for the change?

Sorry, I can't help with your actual question.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doesn't your gas co supply a pressure regulator?
Around here there is a gas co regulator in front of the meter.

If your gas co doesn't, ask them for references - local plumbers who can do the job to their specs.

Reach4

Reaction score
Doesn't your gas co supply a pressure regulator?
Around here there is a gas co regulator in front of the meter.
He will still get a regulator from the gas company, but it will regulate to 2 psi instead of 0.25 psi.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
.5 psi is about 12" w.c., which is TOO HIGH for your appliances and they would ALL need individual regulators to reduce it to 6" w.c. The gas utility COULD increase your pressure to .5 psi, instead of 2 psi, but they won't because you could "fiddle" with the appliances and give them too much pressure and blow up your house. However, if the grill won't light, the furnace and water heater flames should also be compromised, and you could also NOT use the other devices. in fact, if your 'diagnosis' were correct, you could NEVER use any other applances when the furnace and w.h. were operating. I think you have a different problem than just a lack of pressure.

Last edited:

David McCarley

Reaction score
If you do choose to have delivery pressure from utility increased to 2psi , you will need a regulator for each appliance. Otherwise, as Reach4 mentioned, by only placing one regulator just downstream of the meter you’re back in same situation with 6” WC. On already inadequate pipe size.
The gas supplier offers the two pressure delivery options simply because that’s the calibrated measurement options for most meters ( index is geared for specific gas pressure). Still would be wise to verify whether the existing pipe size will support the BTU load at the proposed 2psi delivery.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks