Myson 325 burner flame big and yellow!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

artms

Reaction score
I've just completed 2 days of torture working on my water heater and i'm back to square one. The burner flames are HUGE and yellow, Soot like you would not believe. I cleaned the soot out of the fins at the top, cleaned the ignitor, lit the pilot and it kinda went kaboom. Now when I turn on the hot water a lot of soot comes out the direct ventand the flames are high inside the heat exchanger. I have a house propane tank and that's probably ok because my other appliances are fine. Since I can't get someone out here in the boonies very soon, I was wondering if there's a place I can adjust the flame down. I have used it and the water does get hot.....fluctuates a bit I just need to lower the flame and get this stable while I hunt for a replacement.

So I think it's a gas pressure problem with the burner manifold......whatever

Any suggestions?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Are you sure you have a propane heater and not a nat gas heater?

John

artms

Reaction score
I have a Myson DV325LPG water heater. I've had it for close to 20 years and I have never performed any maintainence on it till yesterday. It's in a shed on the side of the house which I built to house it for code. It started smelling like burning metal so I looked in. The flames were huge and yellow. There was a thick build up of soot which I cleaned off to increase venting. I had an issue with the pilot light staying lit and I cleaned the pilot ignitor. After all that..still a big yellow flame. The water does get very hot now.I have no way of measuring gas pressure...but thought I could just adjust a screw somewhere and watch the flames go down.

artms

Reaction score
HAHA
Well as a matter of fact that's what I'm going to do but it will take a few weeks to get a plumber here and get a new unit. In the meantime I would just like to make it safer and still be able to have a little hot water. Perhaps it's not an appropriate question of concern for this forum.