Mud on well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
I asked about this previously, but I found a picture. What would cause this mud at the top of the submersible pump ?
IMG_0127.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think that is mud. That is what a steel fitting looks like when screwed to a Stainless or brass pump or check valve. Electrolysis happens when two dissimilar metals are screwed together. They usually don't look that bad because they spring a hole in the side before it looks like mud.

RonL1

Reaction score
Well, if that is the case, it should not happen any more, as the new pump has a cheaper plastic top coupling. The old fitting that screws into it looked to still be in good condition, so we just rescrewed it into the plastic. I guess ill see if it holds up.

Cliffyk

Reaction score
More often than anyone likes to admit plastic plumbing. pipes and connectors/fixtures. have a significant advantage with regard to service life--they don't like high vibration and stress but properly supported and isolated they often outlive traditional metallic systems--they are also VERY corrosion resistant. Our house is 25+ years old, plumbed exclusively with PVC and CPVC, piping problems are the very least of my concerns...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I like Brass or SS, but plastic is better than iron on a pump. However, I have installed thousands of steel fittings screwed into brass or SS fittings. If you wrap the outside with electric tape it insulates the negative particles from the positive ones and the steel fittings will still look like new 30 years from now when you take off the tape.

RonL1

Reaction score
I like Brass or SS, but plastic is better than iron on a pump. However, I have installed thousands of steel fittings screwed into brass or SS fittings. If you wrap the outside with electric tape it insulates the negative particles from the positive ones and the steel fittings will still look like new 30 years from now when you take off the tape.
I believe mine was wrapped ... but must be some was left exposed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks