Moving Thermostat from Hallway to Family Room - Not Sure Which Wall to Use

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I am running new wiring for my Ecobee thermostat and whole house humidifier. I want to move it from the hallway to the family room, but I'm not sure which wall to use. I just bought a condo and am remodeling, so it's a good time for me to do it.

I was thinking thinking either the left wall (see arrow in picture) or the back wall (blue square in picture). That back wall is the closet for the HVAC and water heater. I'm not sure if it matters, but there is a return at the back left (near where you see the ladder). There is also a register there further up the ceiling. I'm replacing the flooring and baseboards, so it's an ideal time for me to run the wiring. I appreciate any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
As long as it is in a central location, not subject to direct flow of ventilation, out of sunlight, and on an interior wall, it really does not matter where you put it.

Reach4

Reaction score
There could be heat generated in the WH and HVAC room. The arrow spot would probably be my preference, unless the kitchen is used for much baking.

I don't think being near a return is a negative, and may be a plus.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If placed on the wall below an open staircase it may be prone to rapid sensed temperature fluctuations due to convecting cool air from the floor upstairs spilling over the stairs, air that may be cooler than the average room temp. Put it on the back wall instead, where the air currents are likely to be more constrained.

Reach4

Reaction score
If placed on the wall below an open staircase it may be prone to rapid sensed temperature fluctuations due to convecting cool air from the floor upstairs spilling over the stairs, air that may be cooler than the average room temp.
Would it change your thought on that if the upstairs was on the same thermostat?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Nope. The coldest air in the rooms upstairs stratifies near the floor, and the warmest air in the downstairs stratifies near the ceilng. The buoyancy of the warmer ceiling air downstairs and heaviness of the floor air upstairs causes a convection of warm air up the stairwell near the ceiling, and flow of cooler air down the stairwell near the floor. The thermostat shouldn't be located in either of those flows, since the flows are not at the average room temperature.