Moving kitchen sink to island from wall (in a condo...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Eva060792

Reaction score
Yes though my HOA is more reasonable than most. But before asking id need to know what I’m asking them... and I’m not sure what it entails. We have gotten permission in the past for a project that involved drilling into the concrete slab and turning off gas line to us and neighbors for a short amount of time

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes though my HOA is more reasonable than most. But before asking id need to know what I’m asking them... and I’m not sure what it entails. We have gotten permission in the past for a project that involved drilling into the concrete slab and turning off gas line to us and neighbors for a short amount of time
Great well are you DIY this job? no contractors. go around like you mentioned I can't tell it's feasible or not from a cartoon but in theory it's a good Idea. Better than cracking floor Id say

Eva060792

Reaction score
Great well are you DIY this job? no contractors. go around like you mentioned I cant tell its feasable or not from a cartoon but in theory its a good Idea. better than cracking floor Id say

Definitely not looking to DIY. Looking to hire an experienced plumber to do this right. I don't care about cracking the floor but I just don't think it's possible given the space we have. Is that right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A line to the kitchen sink is 2" pipe, 2-9/16" OD for the pipe and bigger than that for the hub of the fitting.

Have you thought about raising the floor there one step up by 7-1/2"
You would need to remember that when you walked in, but it would give some room for an Island vent or for a waste line below the floor.

I see in your drawing that you have a stool under the counter top. Bringing the waste line and vent from the wall side would be in the way of somebody's knees.

island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

Eva060792

Reaction score
Oh wow got a response for Terry! Yay. Thank you for chiming in!

Ok so I don't think my husband would go along with the 7" step idea... mostly because we have elderly parents that come and visit and it would just be complicated to make work in a condo.

If we went with the adjacent wall idea, would it be possible to hide the pipe in an empty space between cabinets and a false panel. Here's a top view of the current plan (assumes 18" deep cabinets but they could be made 15" to fit the pipes behind the cabinet). Do you think that would work?

Last edited:

Eva060792

Reaction score
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wall at the side of the kitchen, I'm guessing is a common wall?
If so , that may be a bearing wall and drilling through it may not be a good idea.

Eva060792

Reaction score
It's actually not! It's a wall that separates the kitchen from the bedroom and up until last year was only 3/4 of the way to the ceiling in terms of height! So it's definitely not load bearing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your contractor might have a few ideas too.
reach 4 thanks for the trivia never heard of a chicago loop.

Eva060792

Reaction score
I reached out to a couple of plumbers to see. My kitchen contractor was a bit stumped about whether this is possible to do given we can't dig under ground (he usually works on houses, not condo apartments, unfortunately)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I reached out to a couple of plumbers to see. My kitchen contractor was a bit stumped about whether this is possible to do given we can't dig under ground (he usually works on houses, not condo apartments, unfortunately)
how much this job going to cost?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks