More submersible pump questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

John Wine

Reaction score
Older 2hp Franklin Electric 3 wire (black, red, & yellow) motor in a 60' 4" well. A week ago, we pulled the pump and motor because it stopped working. Determined the motor to be fine, so we replaced the pump. Worked fine for a few days and then stopped again. Control box is still clicking when it's turned on like it did when everything was working. There is no hum at the well like there was when just the pump went out. Voltage at well seal (with pump disconnected) is 123 volts on the 3 individual wires. Could I twist someone's arm to explain how to check the wires and pump down in the well without pulling it out once again. Meaning, needing to know how to check for problems from well seal to the motor. Please don't assume I know what you're talking about. ...because I probably don't. :) I'm not stupid, just in an area I'm not familiar with. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You check the voltage between the 2 hots, and not from a wire to a ground. Expect about 126. Those are yellow and black at the pump, but I don't know what color your wires to the pump are.

Have you replaced the start capacitor in the control box? You should, even if there a different problem. Those will fail with time and use.

John Wine

Reaction score
You check the voltage between the 2 hots, and not from a wire to a ground. Expect about 126. Those are yellow and black at the pump, but I don't know what color your wires to the pump are.

Have you replaced the start capacitor in the control box? You should, even if there a different problem. Those will fail with time and use.

If I understand you, turn the control panel on as if starting the pump and then check the voltage between the hots at the well seal. Do I do that with the pump attached to the wires or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure. If you measure voltage, do it between the hots.

I guess I would turn on the connected pump, and see if there is current in the yellow wire, using a clamp around ammeter. After a second or two, if there is a lot of current, turn off the power.

Alternatively, measure the current on one of the hots at the pressure switch.'

You may find a thought-out troubleshooting procedure. I am just taking stabs.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like you have a broken wire down the well. Disconnect the red, yellow, and black from the control box. Ohm between these wires on your RX1 scale. With three wires you need the three different readings between R and B, B and Y, and R and Y. The two lowest reading should add up to the highest reading like 2,3, and 5. My guess is one or more of those wires will show an open circuit and you won't get a reading. Probably a bad splice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks