max p trap distance from tub drain in arizona??

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
As stated, I am installing a new tub which has a center drain, the old tub was at one end. The drain is 2". The new drain is approx 2'6" - 3' further away from the existing tub drain?
I cant see where the vent is(drops away from the chopped hole in the slab), my guess it ties into the shower vent approx. another 4' away.

thanks chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

You want the "P" trap as close to the tub outlet as possible, or you will get odors from scum buildup between the tub and the trap. Besides making it difficult, if not impossible, to snake the drain if you just offset the pipe from the tub to the trap.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
HJ,

THe P trap sits in the slab under a wall into the toilet closet(non bearing). The distance from the P trap (if I dont move it) would be 32"(center of the tub). Probably too far and would be enough for odors. Geez..nothing is simple about this new tub:(

Chris

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Any of you AZ guys know if code requires a pressure balance valve for tub fillers? The tub filler is not anti-scald.

thanks,
Chris

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure you know what a "P" trap looks like but are you sure it is a "P" trap. Sounds like the old tub did not have the trap under the tub drain. If this is the case you may want to think of moving the trap and vent to make life better. It is never easy doing a remodel.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Here are pics of my diliema, the old tub was a fiberglass drop with the drain to the end(near the wall). The new tub has a center drain thus the concern for p trap distance.
I think the vent is tied into the shower another 3.5' away.

Hope the pics help...
Chris

Attachments

• tub p trap.jpg
    tub p trap.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 7,988
  • p trap tub 2.jpg
    p trap tub 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,015
  • p trap tub 3.jpg
    p trap tub 3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 22,763

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

A lot of things during a remodel are PITA's, but that does not mean they should not be done correctly. Move the trap to the new location, BUT, unless the new tub does not have an overflow, (in which case doing it by offsetting the pipe would create a tub that would not drain), the trap has to be under the overflow pipe location, not the tub's drain hole.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
HJ,
the freestanding tub has a overflow built in that I believe ties into main drain inside the tub.
Its location is on the side at the center to vs off to one side.
I lost you on the last sentence, the P trap has to be under the overflow pipe and not the main drani?

Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The outlet from the tub is usually aligned with the overflow. The p-trap should be directly under the outlet. If you run that through an arm, crud in the arm can start to smell nasty, and it may not drain well.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
The tub arrives on Monday, I will have a better idea of what I have to work with.
I agree 100% everything should be done correctly, no sense into this far and not get it right, thus the nature of the post and inquiring people who know what to do right the first time...thansk again for the replies.

Chris

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
if I saw it right, what those pictures show is that the old tub used to have its P trap aligned pretty much directly under its overflow hole, and not directly under its drain hole. The pipe coming almost straight down from the overflow goes into the P trap opening. There is an offset in that vertical pipe.

Then, I think what hj said is that ya gotta align that P trap opening now to be directly (or with that slight zigzag offset) to be under the new tub's overflow hole. Like the current set up.

Then, what Jimjadnashau said is that ideal would be to put the P trap opening directly under the tub drain hole, which is very often seen, and always advised when possible. The small problem he mentions is that organic matter can stick to the piece of pipe before the P trap, like hair and gray water sediment dust. Not a serious concern, imho.

Although you have very little wiggle room, you do have some. Pivoting the P trap so its opening is under the overflow hole, or under it with a slight offset, seems to be possible, if i read hj's remarks right. It is a couple inches over but it doesn't put your P trap under that concrete.

If this makes sense, then i am happy.

david

Chris Fox

Reaction score
attached are pics of the tub, the overflow and drain across the tub vs down its length. My understanding is the P trap will be set in line with the overflow and drain and the drain pipe rotated 90deg back the plumbing stack toward the wall. (see my illustration)
I will have to saw out some slab for the P trap and PEX pines for the tube filler.

Chris

Attachments

• 162293_family.jpg
    162293_family.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 5,344
  • 700009.jpg
    700009.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 5,089
  • tub drain illustration.jpg
    tub drain illustration.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17,890

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

If that tub has an internal overflow, similar to a lavatory, and you offset the drain, you could create the same condition that a double trap would and the tub will either not drain or drain very slowly, at least for the first few minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks