Max angle for horizontal shower drain into main line.

Users who are viewing this thread

bruzer29

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm adding a bath in the basement and will trench concrete floor. Once that is done I have a question about the shower basin drain to the main drain line in the bath group.

In order to keep distances shorter, after the P trap from the shower I would need to make a 150 degree turn into the main line into a 3x3x2" wye.

The longer route would be go a bit further, make a 90deg turn, then a 60deg turn into the wtye.

My question is what is the max angle I can make from the horiz shower drain into the main wye? I live in Arvada Colorado.

Rough Sketch (The ... are just to keep alignment of the graph)

^
| <---- Main bath group 3" line
|........o <---- Shower end of Ptrap
|......./
|...../
|\---/ <---- This angle would be 150deg into the wye
|
|

The alternative is:

^
|
|.............o
|..............|
|..............|
|\------------ 90deg, 60deg at main line
|
|

Thanks,
-Bruce

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no max angle. The upc says 135 degrees is the max angle without adding a cleanout.

The distance from the trap to the vent would be the one you'd want to worry about. That's 8' for a 2"pipe under the ipc and upc it's 60".

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maintain a good 1/4" per foot slope and you can travel whatever distance you want. Shorter is better. Less degrees of bends are also better. Less fittings is better.

But horizontal distance isn't limited in any code that I'm aware. More angles means more cleanouts. Exceeding 145deg requires a cleanout. Mostly so that a snake can travel down with less friction, not so much that waste will get more stuck.

bruzer29

Reaction score
There is no max angle. The upc says 135 degrees is the max angle without adding a cleanout.

The distance from the trap to the vent would be the one you'd want to worry about. That's 8' for a 2"pipe under the ipc and upc it's 60".
Thank you. My city uses IPC 2018.
So if I put a 90deg on the shower drain after the Ptrap and then later a 60deg into the 3x3x2 wye, that is not considered 150deg since I am using two angles?

For the distance from the wet vent tie in to the shower drain (after the Ptrap) what point do I measure to? Is it the connection of the sanitary T from the Lavatory where I'll have a vertical 2" pipe to an AAV valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cant use a 60 degree fitting on its side in upc . some other places might buy it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks