Low Water Level Switch for 24VDC Well Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

WingIt

Reaction score
I have a 24VDC diaphragm pump filling an 85 gallon pressure tank in the crawlspace of a small cabin. The static level of the well is about 47' and the pump is at 70'. The pump seems to run dry in about 10-15 minutes, which is fine because the water needs are low. The previous owner used a mechanical timer switch to keep the pump from running dry for too long. This would be ok, except that I plan to have renters in the cabin sometimes and I want the water system to be more automatic and less error prone.

Apparently, the run-dry protection devices are all made for 110/220VAC systems. My current idea is to put a low water sensor/switch in the well just above the pump, in conjunction with a timer circuit. I would like the pump to switch off automagically just before it runs out of water, and then stay off long enough for the well to recharge, and then switch back on.

I've spent long hours internet searching and come up with very little. I know I should have a larger, 'normal' AC well pump, but I just paid $450 to have this one rebuilt, so I would like to get some years of use out of it. And the efficiency & somewhat higher reliability of running directly off the solar system batteries, rather than the inverter, is a small plus.

I've seen probe or float type switches mentioned in this forum, but can't seem to find any for this application. The ones I have found seem to be primarily for sump use.

My questions would be along the lines of:
Am I on the right track?
Is this really the best way to solve my run-dry problem?
What are good low water switches for this and where do I get them?

If I can find a sensor/switch, I should be able to figure out the 24V relay part without too much trouble. And I think a 24VDC timer circuit shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks in advance for any help!

WingIt

Reaction score
Thanks Boycedrilling, that was a big help. I talked to a very knowledgeable guy named Walter.
B.W. Allen Company seems like a great outfit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks