Looking for help rebuilding shower mixer valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
As the title says I have an old house with a leaking shower mixing valve. The house was built in 1979 and I'm guessing it's probably the original piece. I'm pretty handy and I've replaced a lot of plumbing here in the house already. I have a pretty good idea of what to do to fix this.. unscrew the end, pull valve out, insert new one, screw it back, done. What I need help with is identifying the mixer valve, and (hopefully) folks here can help me find a replacement part online.

Pictures:
YQpyYhX.jpg

7VI2Mfx.jpg

I have no idea what type of mixer valve this is. So I guess first step is identifying it, and then once I know what it is maybe I can find the replacement part.

Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated. Yes I could call a plumber and they could probably fix it straight away but that would probably be a multiple-hundred-dollar fix. Where as I'd rather try and do it myself. I see some mixer valve rebuild kits on ebay for like $15. I just don't know which one would fit this.

And no I rather not remove the valve it's self to look at it. Due to the age, I'm pretty sure once I take it out that what ever is left of the rubber inside will likely disintegrate and then I won't be able to put it back on until I get a replacement part.. and if it won't seal again that could mean weeks without water in our house while I wait for parts to arrive. So I'd rather try to identify it as is and only remove it when I have replacement part in hand.

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
Oh wow, that definitely looks just like it. And cheaper. Thank you. So that's probably it then.

Kithylin

Like a Fox!
Reaction score
I found one on ebay (Same part #) that's just $11.00 free shipping. I managed to turn it off hard enough with a pair of vise grips so it's just a very slow drip like 1 drop per hour and I'll just order that. Thanks again. I may have to come back to these forums for my next plumbing question. :)