Looking for Advice - Basement Bathroom Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad W

Reaction score
Hi plumbers and DIYers,

I'm looking for some feedback on my proposed rough in layout for a basement bathroom that I'd like to put in. I live in Portland Oregon, and I plan to have an inspector review this layout after I'm done, but it would be great to get some early notes before I go breaking concrete.

I have a very old house, but the main drain line was replaced with 4" ABS before I moved in. The drain looks to be deep enough, and my planned bathroom location is very favorable for gravity to do the work, with a 1/4" drop every foot.

I've built up my plans in CAD. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. The only item I haven't places is an access point for a cleanout. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to put it in at the sink drain, but any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Basement plumbing layout.jpg
    Basement plumbing layout.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 504
  • Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,227
Last edited:

Brad W

Reaction score
James, thanks for the help! Do the venting options change if I'm choosing to use AAVs?

I like the suggested "Floor Plan toit last" because it's less concrete work for me, but is one AAV adequate for this layout?

Couple more questions:
Do you think a cleanout at the sink is the right idea?
Is a backwater valve required anywhere in this layout?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
James, thanks for the help! Do the venting options change if I'm choosing to use AAVs?

I like the suggested "Floor Plan toit last" because it's less concrete work for me, but is one AAV adequate for this layout?

Couple more questions:
Do you think a cleanout at the sink is the right idea?
Is a backwater valve required anywhere in this layout?

https://ipscorp.com/pdf/studor/Studor_Technical_Manual.pdf

question 1: I think so, check with your inspector he has the final say.
question 2: having a clean out under a sink is not required by code because a removable p-trap is considered a means for snaking the drain. its your choice.
question 3: If your shower drain is lower than the nearest upstream sewer manhole then you need a backwater valve. you can research it on Al Gore's amazing internet.

Brad W

Reaction score
https://ipscorp.com/pdf/studor/Studor_Technical_Manual.pdf

question 1: I think so, check with your inspector he has the final say.
question 2: having a clean out under a sink is not required by code because a removable p-trap is considered a means for snaking the drain. its your choice.
question 3: If your shower drain is lower than the nearest upstream sewer manhole then you need a backwater valve. you can research it on Al Gore's amazing internet.

Thanks for the help James!

Brad W

Reaction score
One final thing. it doesn't hurt to run a 2" vent, studor vents come with a 2" slip female adapter.

Well, I took out the concrete, and dry fit the setup that we were talking about. It looks good for slope. Let me know if you notice anything out of wack. Obviously, I didn't install the vent, but that's just because I ran out of " pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_8202.JPG
    IMG_8202.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 906

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good. I was surprised you changed your mind on the layout.

Attachments

• IMG_8202.JPG
    IMG_8202.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,445
  • Floor Plan toit last.jpg
    Floor Plan toit last.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 462

Brad W

Reaction score
Looks good. I was surprised you changed your mind on the layout.

I know. I thought I found that fitting, but I was wrong. I couldn't find it, so I pieced it together the way it was before. I would have preferred it your way, because it seems like it would all flow better, and I wouldn't have to deal with so many fittings, but Home Depot just didn't have it. Trust me, I've been there 3 times today, haha.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just checked your local plumbing code and you need to make sure your shower drain is no longer than 60" Your under the UPC and its very strict.

Attachments

• IMG_8202.JPG
    IMG_8202.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 389

Brad W

Reaction score
I just checked your local plumbing code and you need to make sure your shower drain is no longer than 60" Your under the UPC and its very strict.

Just when I thought I was out of the weeds... It all depends on where exactly the measurements are taken. And yes, I do need to swap out that short sweep 90 for a long sweep.

Attachments

• IMG_8211.jpg
    IMG_8211.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_8212.jpg
    IMG_8212.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_8213.jpg
    IMG_8213.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 393

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
AAV's to me have there place but not everywhere. I say that because they are used all over my current home built in 2007. I have 1.5 bath first floor, second floor full bath with a tub and two sinks. First floor three bathroom sinks and kitchen use AAV's. Not sure about the first floor shower and two toilets. The second floor is one AAV. I only learned this after a remodel how many AAV's are in use. There is one roof vent however.

Problem is: The second floor toilet always loses water in the bowl. It may take hours but never consistent. What I think is happening is as water used on the first floor, especially when a toilet is flushed, the slug of water draining is pulling in air from the AAV's or roof vent, but the second floor drain must have a slight negative pressure and this trickles out some water from the toilet bowl. Probably not enough negative pressure to open the AAV. During the remodel it was too late with a scheduled tiler on hand to add a roof vent. Also, the way the roof truss and wall was framed I would have had to added a soffit in the bathroom to accommodate a roof vent. I have no problem with this but if there is anyway you can vent to the roof, you'll be better off though AAV's are allowed by code.

BTW, the toilet used before the remodel was a Briggs and the replacement was a Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks