Lift Station Keeps Clogging

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael.B

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently trying to take care of my elderly parents in South Carolina, and there lift station outside the house keeps getting clogged. There have issues with the chamber filling up over the years, and just recently we've had to have someone come out 4 times in the past month ($400 a pop), and they say that there are sanitary pads that keep getting flushed that are clogging it. We asked if the pump might need replacing, but he said that's probably not going to help. My folks both have dementia, and we are posting signs and trying to tell them not to flush anything but toilet paper, but not sure how that's going to go. My question would be, is there a possibility we a better pump would help solve this problem? The Meyers pump (WGL-20(2hp) that is in there was installed in 2014 and from the looks of it, it is already a grinder pump. Don't know how necessary they are, but It looks some disconnected wires in the control box. Guessing they have been that way for awhile...(maybe goes to the warning light which no longer comes on).

Thanks for any advice here folks!

IMG_6015[1].jpg
Capture.JPG
IMG_6020[1].jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pumps don't work with pads and wipes. You have to git rid of the wipes and pads.

A solution may be to install a bidet attachment or bidet seat on the toilet, so that they can rinse with warm water and use standard TP.
Other countries use water to rinse with, and it speeds up the cleaning process immensely.

index.php

I installed this bidet seat for my older brother last week.

wet-wipes-covid.jpg

The city's pumps won't work with wipes either.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the pads are making it all of the way to the pump intake, but they don't get ground up.

https://www.pumpproducts.com/pumps/grinder-pumps.html says "Some of the top Zoeller Grinder Pumps are called the 800 Series (or “The Shark” series). “The Shark” grinder series features Models 818, 819 and 820. These Zoeller Grinder Pumps are engineered to grind and pump tough materials, for example, disposable wipes, which are now found in today’s wastewater applications. These models feature a new 2-blade angled cutter design, which provides superior grinding with sharper cutting edges."

I don't know if that would work better than what you are using.

https://drain-net.com/shop-by-produ.../traptex/product/traptex-prevent-toilet-clogs catches wipes etc on the way through, but somebody then has to deal with a clogged toilet.

Hospitals often have those.

Michael.B

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, whatever is getting flushed is making it all the way to the pump (not clogging the lines) where the lift pump then gets seized-up. Sounds like the problem is not so much wipes, but urinary incontinence underwear or pads. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with my parents who are in full-on dementia, and and I've made them promise not to flush any of the pads, but it's a somehow it keeps happening. The Traptex looks like a possibility....I'd much rather clean a clog in the pipe vs. a $400 plumber bill. Plus, it would only by one of the toilets vs. all of them.

I was reading about this new Meyers V2, and wondering if it could be a solution?

https://www.pentair.com/en-us/produ...yers-v2-series-centrifugal-grinder-pumps.html

Check out the video of the V2 grinding condoms, tampons, baby diapers, towels, shirts.......great soundtrack too!

I'm guessing it would be about $4000-$5000 to get our 7 year old Meyers WGL-20 replaced with this one...

Might be worth it in the long run if we are going to be dealing with this for years.

Michael.B

Reaction score
Quick update for those that might be following this thread.....I watched as the local septic contractor who installed it pulled the pump and cleared it. As it turns out, the original industrial Meyers WGL-20 2 hp grinder pump when the house was built in the mid 80s was replaced in 2014, but with a 1 hp, cheaper residential pump. Not sure if my dad cheaped-out, or that's just what the contractor decided to do? That explains why some of the wiring in the control box was disconnected...the capacitors are integrated into the new pump. It also convinces me that we are due for a new grinder, but I am aware that it will not fully solve the problem if wipes and sanitary items are flushed, but I'm fairly certain the grinder in there now is dull and worn and a better pump would solve 90% of the clogging with maybe an occasional mistake that gets flushed. I'm not sure why the orignal was replaced with a cheaper version in 2014 and I don't know how many times the septic contractor who installed it has been out to unclog it, but at least a dozen. The decision now is do we go back to a 2 hp meyers grinder ~$3000 + control box and labor, or go with a cheaper version to get us through until my folks are moved into alternate living, and we sell the house. I feel like I could install a new residential version to replace myself, but I wouldn't be comfortable wiring in a new control box for an industrial version.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks