Leveling a Kohler Acrylic tub with feet

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,
First, thank you to everyone who times the time to answer questions. I'm a first time bath room remodeler.

I have a new Kohler tub that has four feet vs "non feet" bottom.
Elmbrook, K-23217-RA

The tub is level left to right, but front to back is out a bit.

What is used to level the feet?

I plan to put motor under the base of tub to make it more solid, but not sure what to use to level feet. The instructions it came with did not mention anything. The instructions say to use construction adhesive under the feet.

Can I use composite material shims, sheet metal?

Also, do I have a slight angle toward back wall to minimize water dripping from edge onto floor?

Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the Kohler Acrylic tubs that have feet, there are two methods I have used.
If the floor is flat and level, then I use the adhesive on the feet.
If the floor is out of level, then using the ledger board on the back wall and shims on the apron to put it where I want it, I depend on the piles of mortar underneath for the support I need.
Kohler shows a bed of mortar, one or two inches. This doesn't help the installer. You can't be perfect and guess how much you really need. The small piles, much like the four legs, will support and because they are in spots, the excess mortar moves over into the voids and allows the tub to drop down to the ledger board and the apron shims. Give a little time, and the mortar sets up hard as rock.

kohler-acrylic-tub-install-01.jpg

wood_4605.jpg

This is a Kohler Archer tub that I installed.

wood_609.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
So let me repeat it back to make sure i understand.

1. I install a ledger board along the back wall (currently do not have one)

2. Use shims under the apron to level the tub.

3. Tub is now resting on shims and ledger board.

3. Once I know it's level, remove tub & place piles of motar all around the base (not under the feet) and place the tub back on the shims and ledger board.

4. Allow motar to cure/dry and remove shims.

So , with this method, the tub will probably not be resting n the feet on the apron side since it has been shimmed up.

Thank you,

Reaction score
You got it. It will be a nice tub for you too.
Thank you.

One more question. Do installers make a slight angle toward the back wall to help prevent water from running out toward the curtain and onto the floor? If so, how much, maybe a 1/4 inch?

Thank you

Reaction score
You got it. It will be a nice tub for you too.

Hi, Before I set the tub in motar, just want to double check the following. It's ok to have the apron off the ground by 3/4 inch on the left and 1/2 inch on the right in order to get it level. The motar will support the tub where the feet are now not touching..correct?

Thank you

(Any hints to locate feet so motar is not placed under them?)

Attachments

• level tub.JPG
    level tub.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 994
Reaction score
Tub in, set, leveled and no leaks., also learned to solder (installed cut off ball valves) ...Thank you for everyone's help. now on to new control valve, floors and walls.

(I know the valve should have been put in before tub, but wanted to get tub in before my son left for college..still have room to work above tub)

Attachments

• tub mud.JPG
    tub mud.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 858
  • tub in.JPG
    tub in.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,521

Methodical

Reaction score
Perfect timing. I am glad I found this topic. I am installing the same tub. I was wandering if the ledger board would be needed. Fortunately, the subfloor for my install is leveled and based on Terry's comment, I can move forth with applying just the adhesive to the feet.

Thanks...

Last edited:

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
So, if the floor IS level, you glue the legs to the existing floor? No mortar bed. Or, is it with a mortar bed in piles and no ledger board?

With the Kohler Acrylic tubs that have feet, there are two methods I have used.
If the floor is flat and level, then I use the adhesive on the feet.
If the floor is out of level, then using the ledger board on the back wall and shims on the apron to put it where I want it, I depend on the piles of mortar underneath for the support I need.
Kohler shows a bed of mortar, one or two inches. This doesn't help the installer. You can't be perfect and guess how much you really need. The small piles, much like the four legs, will support and because they are in spots, the excess mortar moves over into the voids and allows the tub to drop down to the ledger board and the apron shims. Give a little time, and the mortar sets up hard as rock.

QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks