leaking tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

cozz06776

Reaction score
i have a leaking faucet from the tub spout cold side. i took the valve stem out replaced the seat replaced the beveled washer but still leaks .dont know the brand but the the stem is 12in long the seat washer sits in a round cup the seat washer color was yellow. i took it to a plumbing store he suggested the beveled washer was sitting too deep so he put a black washer to raise the beveled washer but it still leaking any ideas? if i shut the cold water at the main valve no dripping but also no cold water in the bathroom. i assume the unit is 20/30 yrs old.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If I understand that you used two washers....that will leak.

Get the correct washer, put some teflon tape carefully on the threads of the seat, make sure it is snug, and put it all back together.

cozz06776

Reaction score
jimbo the second washer is behind the beveled washer which is solid except for the screw hole the second washer is being used as a spacer to raise the solid yellow washer slightly foward to raise it above the lip of the stem cup which would then fit into the seat to create a seal but its not working either any other ideas would be apprciated

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to use 1 of the proper sized washers. Was the seat an identical match or, was it close like the washers?:confused: