Leak detection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thefencemedic

Reaction score
Hey folks,

We have a farm with a long waterline (about 4,000’ of 2” pvc) supplied by a 1” meter with high municipal pressure (120 psi at the meter). The paranoid side of me worries about an eventual leak and how much water could be used in a short amount of time and was wondering if there are any reasonable products that could be installed near the meter that could monitor water flow?

Some of the ones I have seen appear to be made for inside use and this would need to be installed in a meter pit and really would not need to have a solenoid valve but provide remote monitoring/alerts. I doubt it’s possible but is there a way to access the existing water meter that has a remote read capability that the county uses to read it every month?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Fitter30

Reaction score
Could use a pulse water meter it pulses every .748 gallons tied to a computer program at a certain number of pulses per minute would set off a alarm or dial a land line. Wires can be extended to 10,000 '. This would work for a line breakage or for leak more than normal flow. A well expansion tank piped in at the house would act like a air cushion to help with a fast closing valve to help with water hammer if that might be a concern.

Last edited:

royalflush001

Reaction score
Flow meters for long waterlines:
  • Mechanical turbine meters: These are robust and reliable for outdoor use, but they often require straight pipe sections before and after for accurate readings. Consider models like the FLOMEC TM Series or Blue White F-45500L-8.
  • Ultrasonic flow meters: These are non-invasive and don't require cutting into the pipe, making them ideal for retrofitting. They work well with long distances and high pressure. Options like Water Flow Meter Teter Gauge Wall Mounted Type Ultrasonic Flowmeter or Lzs-20 Dn20 100-1000l/h Pipeline Water Rotameter Lzs Flow Meter could be potential choices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks