Leak between pump to house

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
i have a submersible pump that has been tested to make sure if it has any problems and it’s fine.the problem is a leak in the line between the well and the house .the pump will run through 3 or 4 cycles and stop and pressure drops to 0.turn off breaker about 10 minutes,cut it back on and does the same cycle.going to replace the line but was wondering if this leak would cause the pump to do this.the leak is where the line goes through the house foundation.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah and it is not good. The cycling is causing the overload in the motor to trip. It is an auto-reset overload and after a few minutes, toggle breaker or not, it should come back on. Anytime a motor is tripping the auto-overload it is on its last leg and will need to be replaced. The constant cycling from the leak is a big problem, but just regular cycling even without a leak will get the pump sooner than later.

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
Yeah and it is not good. The cycling is causing the overload in the motor to trip. It is an auto-reset overload and after a few minutes, toggle breaker or not, it should come back on. Anytime a motor is tripping the auto-overload it is on its last leg and will need to be replaced. The constant cycling from the leak is a big problem, but just regular cycling even without a leak will get the pump sooner than later.

So I guess there’s no need in replacing the pump til I get the line replaced?

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
I have a crew coming next week to replace the line so if it’s not going to hurt the new pump I’m going to put it on in .wife kinda likes water.thank you very much

Reach4

Reaction score
the pump will run through 3 or 4 cycles and stop and pressure drops to 0.turn off breaker about 10 minutes,cut it back on and does the same cycle.
While it will not change the prescription to fix the underground line, I was curious what behavior you were describing. You weren't using a regular computer with keyboard, were you?

It seems as if you were saying that the pump would turn off and stay off after a few cycles. Do you have a pump protection box that cuts you off when abnormal behavior is detected?

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
While it will not change the prescription to fix the underground line, I was curious what behavior you were describing. You weren't using a regular computer with keyboard, were you?

It seems as if you were saying that the pump would turn off and stay off after a few cycles. Do you have a pump protection box that cuts you off when abnormal behavior is detected?
When the trouble started I noticed that when the pump quit pumping I would turn off the breaker and let it sit awhile.then I would turn it back on and it would run 5 to 10 minutes or longer and cut off.i was told the hole in the line was causing air to get in line and tripping the thermal switch in the pump.its a franklin pump and no external boxes .its about 10 years old and has worked fine till the hole got in the line.so I watched the pressure gauge cycle and it would do like it should for about ten,maybe 20 minutes and cut off.
Your right,I’m using my iPad

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
When the trouble started I noticed that when the pump quit pumping I would turn off the breaker and let it sit awhile.then I would turn it back on and it would run 5 to 10 minutes or longer and cut off.i was told the hole in the line was causing air to get in line and tripping the thermal switch in the pump.its a franklin pump and no external boxes .its about 10 years old and has worked fine till the hole got in the line.so I watched the pressure gauge cycle and it would do like it should for about ten,maybe 20 minutes and cut off.
Your right,I’m using my iPad
And to make it worse my pump man of 40 years passed away last year and I haven’t found a new one.very good friend also.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the cut-off was the pump thermal cutoff, I expect he pump would have come back on for more tries without you cycling the breaker.

But still, why the thermal cutoff? Maybe the well went dry, reducing cooling. Maybe something else.

If your well is 5 inch ID or bigger, a flow inducer sleeve would be a good idea if you get the pump pulled for any reason. That helps keep pump motors cooler.

Click Inbox, above.

Last edited:

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
If the cut-off was the pump thermal cutoff, I expect he pump would have come back on for more tries without you cycling the breaker.

But still, why the thermal cutoff? Maybe the well went dry, reducing cooling. Maybe something else.

If your well is 5 inch ID or bigger, a flow inducer sleeve would be a good idea if you get the pump pulled for any reason. That helps keep pump motors cooler.

Click Inbox, above.

Click Inbox, above.
my pump man told me years ago if the pump acted up for what ever reason cut it off and let it sit awhile and cut it back on.the well is fine.it comes back on every time I’ve flipped the breaker and just runs 10 to 20 minutes and cuts off .my brother in-law had this problem but no leak and had to buy a new pump.maybe I should just leave it on and see if water comes back on without messing with breaker.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are pumping the well dry what you are doing will work. If the overload in the motor is tripping, it will come back on no matter if you flip the breaker or not. But if you are pumping the well dry and you don't turn the pump off it will melt the pump down. Best to use an amp meter. If the pump is still drawing some amps after the water stops flowing you are pumping the well dry. If there are no amps, the overload has tripped.

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
If you are pumping the well dry what you are doing will work. If the overload in the motor is tripping, it will come back on no matter if you flip the breaker or not. But if you are pumping the well dry and you don't turn the pump off it will melt the pump down. Best to use an amp meter. If the pump is still drawing some amps after the water stops flowing you are pumping the well dry. If there are no amps, the overload has tripped.
Well today the line from the pump to the house was replaced.pressure back to normal,pump working as it should,all is good.now I hope it stays like this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks