Large gap between leveled tub and concrete floor

Users who are viewing this thread

MLipenk

Reaction score
I am about to install a tub with surround. However, with the tub leveled on all four sides, the gap between the tub and the concrete floor at one end is up to 3/4 of an inch off the concrete. In general there is a bit of a rise in the concrete floor where the PVC drain stubs were roughed in for the tub and the toilet.

Eventually, this bathroom will have in-floor heating, thin-set mortar, and ceramic tile installed. I don't install tile, so I'm not familiar with the amount of flexibility one has in the amount of gap one can make up when tiling, but 3/4" would seem like too much in my opinion.

What is the best course of action? Do I need to put in some self-leveling concrete to make up at least some of the difference with the floor, grind down the high spot, or a combination of both?

tub.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the answers to your questions. I would think that a significant gap would not remain after self leveling is used and the tub is level. But I have no experience along these lines.

I very much suggest that you use the search box above with the following search term:
piles mortar

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are adding in-floor heating above what is there now, and tile on top of that, that would be the time to worry about it.
The walls will need a level tub, so for now, shim the tub as needed.

MLipenk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up grinding down the concrete hump 1/4" so the back of the tub is only 1/2" when shimmed level. I think what I'm getting at is the fact that it may be easier to address the entire bathroom floor pre-tub-install vs. post-tub-install, so that everything goes more smoothly henceforth (I'm a DIYer and will be doing the entire bathroom). But what I'm hearing is plumbers don't care what the tilers have to deal with? ( ;

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you're hearing is that you aim to lay piping on the floor and cover it with more cement. When you're done doing that it's going to be built up rather well, and you "will" need to make sure that is level.
I don't carry a floor grinder with me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks