Kohler Rialto 3386

Users who are viewing this thread

leelee77

Reaction score
The fill valve on my 12 yr old Kohler Rialto has developed a leak and runs continuously. Looking up replacement, I found they want you to replace the whole works with a conversion kit which looks to be about $90. In the course of reading about it, I noticed one person didn't recommend fixing it because they said there are metal parts inside the toilet which start to rust at this point and you might as well replace the toilet.

I'm wondering if there is truth to this because I have started having rust stains where the water fills the bowl? Is this a thing that happens to toilets?

This toilet was a big disappointment, it flushes pretty badly, but it's very small and fits in my small bathroom. It looks like I could get a replacement fill valve of the old style online for about $80 (yikes), or the conversion kit for $90 but does it make sense to put that much money into fixing it at this point? Should I just go for a new toilet? Toto Entrada is $218 at Lowes.

https://terrylove.biz/toilets/98-toto-cst243ef-entrada-toilet.html

Am I going to spend $80 or $90 and then find I need to replace the toilet anyway? What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

leelee77

Reaction score
Yes, Terry, that's it.

I'm over on the other side of the sound.

leelee77

Reaction score
Yes, it's pretty. I sure didn't expect it to be so short lived. Oh well, live and learn.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler has this NIH chip on their shoulder (not invented here). They're constantly trying to push the envelope. That, by itself, isn't necessarily bad...inventions fuel the world. But, IMHO, they don't test them all that well before they foist them on the public. Sometimes you get a cutting edge product, sometimes, you get a dog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A Coast 12B-1-X will replace the fill valve. You cut the existing plastic hose that goes into the front of the tank and insert the Coast's hose into it. Then adjust the rim flush valve to give an adequate flush.

coast-12b-1x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leelee77

Reaction score
I have will call in Puyallup.

Darn, I wish I was closer to Puyallup, that is a great price and I would rather buy it from you.

A Coast 12B-1-X will replace the fill valve. You cut the existing plastic hose that goes into the front of the tank and insert the Coast's hose into it. Then adjust the rim flush valve to give an adequate flush.

Thanks for the tip, AJ. I checked the local hardware store and what they had was a generic Fluidmaster 400A, I picked that up on the off chance it would work and was able to get it working for now. The hole for the fill valve is so tight to the corner of the tank I wasn't sure it would work but it seems to be ok. The flush handle hits it slightly but hopefully that doesn't matter. But my model did not have any tube that attached to anything so I'm not sure what to do with the tube? My original looked like this, as you can see it's offset and no tube:
106803032.jpg.png

The Fluidmaster and the one you recommended above have tubes. As of now I just have it filling into the tank.

fluidmaster.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your toilet flushes okay, you could leave it that way. On most toilets, they require that hose go to the tower that can then fill the bowl. A toilet does not generally flush well unless the bowl is full. You do not want to leave that hose sitting inside the water of the tank...it needs to be clipped above the water level or it can siphon.

Robert Snow

Architect
Reaction score
We had three 3.5 gallon flush Rialto toilets. They never flushed well, no matter what I tried. Replaced them with Toto Willingham and never looked back.

2010-02-05 at 14-43-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks