Kohler pressure mixer issues

Users who are viewing this thread

toozie21

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old house with the standard construction grade Kohler shower handles. They are the single handle style and even though they are so new, they are becoming terrible for controlling the temp.

I've read up a little on how they work, and I am trying to decide if it makes more sense to repair it, or just get a better handle. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to get my kid's bath water somewhere between 110F and 36F.

Any words of wisdom?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whether you go to a local parts supply or request from Kohler you should get a 76851 rebuild kit. This will allow you to replace all internal parts. It consists of the main cartridge that controls the valve on or off and a pressure balance cartridge which equals the pressure for temperature control.

upload_2019-6-11_6-9-23.jpeg

toozie21

Reaction score
Thanks Marlin. I had watched a video yesterday and doing that replacement and it seemed like a reasonable enough task. What I disnr understand was
1 - Why would my two showers be so bad only 4 years in

And

2 - Why is the cost of the repair kit so high? It seems like a whole new unit (which includes the innards) would cost less.

I assume it is advised to go with Kohler instead of 3rd party for the kit?

Whether you go to a local parts supply or request from Kohler you should get a 76851 rebuild kit. This will allow you to replace all internal parts. It consists of the main cartridge that controls the valve on or off and a pressure balance cartridge which equals the pressure for temperature control.

View attachment 53872

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Various reasons why these valves need service in 4 years. Water hardness and usage are the top reasons. This valve does better the more it is used. Sort of like exercising. Your valve has been discontinued but Kohler will ship free parts if you can wait. I have not heard of any successful generic cartridges.

toozie21

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

A free fix would be nice :).

Do you know how to apply? Thanks!

Various reasons why these valves need service in 4 years. Water hardness and usage are the top reasons. This valve does better the more it is used. Sort of like exercising. Your valve has been discontinued but Kohler will ship free parts if you can wait. I have not heard of any successful generic cartridges.

toozie21

Reaction score
You are a money saver! The immediately responded that they are sending me 2 replacements for free.

Thank you so much for all the help!

toozie21

Reaction score
This is a link to Kohler's customer service. Your valve # is K-304-NA. You are looking for part # 76851. This kit will get you both units.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/static/customerSupport.jsp
You my good sir, are a miracle worker. It is about a 10 min job (for a non-plumber), so I highly recommend this for anyone else out there with issues. Kohler has a good video showing how to do a replacement.

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks