Kohler Coralais single handle shower cold and valve loose

Users who are viewing this thread

Adawgie88

Reaction score
Kohler CORALAIS K-P15111
K-P15111-4 With Lever Handle
K-P15111-7 With Sculptured Acrylic Handle

The shower in my master bathroom has dropped forever. I had a buddy who said he could fix it. Well, he left it a mess.

Now instead of dripping it only dispenses cold water and the valve/handle is loose.

I’m wondering if the cold water issue is simply the need for a new cartridge. I’ll try to figure out what’s needed to replace that.

Any idea why the valve would be loose? By this I mean when you go to turn the single handle lever it literally moves side to side. I have no access behind to brace with wood, and it was never loose before he “helped.” Is there a way to brace this?

There is an odd black round circular piece behind, but I think that’s for use when using in a tiled shower.

While I’m at it, any guesses on the cartridge and handle trim, since both need replaced.

Thanks in advance for the help. I’m so frustrated.

Pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qW4bdctCxQa1orVy7

kohler-75819.jpg

kohler-p15111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
kohler-non-pressure.jpg

That black plate behind was most likely used as a backer to hold it in place. Normally a block out for the tile, but also works well was backing in a fiberglass shower.

kohler-single-shower-parts-02.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

Adawgie88

Reaction score
That black plate behind was most likely used as a backer to hold it in place. Normally a block out for the tile, but also works well was backing in a fiberglass shower.

Is there a trick to getting it back in place? Would love to get this shower back up and running!!

Thanks to both posters for the help thus far.

kohler-coralais-shower-01.jpg

Adawgie88

Reaction score
Fixed the cold water issue. Somehow the valve was turned so the max hot water limit was was on way too cold.

Now to figure out how to get the valve secured and I’ll be sitting pretty.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most valves have a section in their installation manual called something like 'thin wall installation' method. As Terry indicated, the plaster guard is often used on the back side of the enclosure to sandwich the valve to the wall, providing stability and to prevent you from flexing the wall away from the trim. WIthout it, you'd have to juryrig something up to emulate that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks