Knocking water heater-but more...

Users who are viewing this thread

CardsnHoosiers

Reaction score
I've searched the threads for similar problems and followed the typical advice for knocking in a water heater. I flushed the unit and dispersed lots of grit and built up sediment. To flush I left the cold fill line open and then opened the drain drain valve on the bottom flush out the stuff. When I close the drain valve it starts knocking again. If I open ANY hot faucet in the house the knocking stop until I shut the faucet off and then it starts again. We have had some moaning in the hot water faucet of the shower sometimes. When it happens it stops if I turn down the water a bit. Please help.
Is it sediment build up, air in the lines,or poltergeist?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I think you have a bad hot valve somewhere. an expansion tank may also help.

try isolating each fixture (angle stops) and see if you can determine where the problem is.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
knocking

Draining the tank has nothing to do with curing pipe noises, and only a little bit to do with curing noises in the water heater caused by heating the water. What kind of noises will determine what you have to do to cure them, but we would have to be there to reproduce the sounds in order to diagnose and stop them. An expansion tank would do little to help the situation, unless the water heater was at the point where they are originating.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It takes a very small amount of hard water sediment in the tank to cause banging noises. The banging is small air bubbles being released as the tank heats. I've heard loud banging from a week-old heater. I don't know of a cure.

CardsnHoosiers

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Not sure what to do other than hire someone to take a look.
Regarding the bad hot water valve, there may be something to that as previously for a while the hot water valve from the shower (located 5 feet from the water heater) used to moan loudly and then when turned down a bit it stopped. Now since the water heater is making noise I have not heard the faucet noise. Maybe a coincedence--I dunno.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks