Kitchen Sink Drain Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

kevin86

Reaction score
So, this is my first time ever doing plumbing work and I am installing a new kitchen sink and counter top. I have no leaks in my supply lines but my drain is a whole other story.

I am using PVC to come from the sink and to create the "P Trap"? This then connects to a steel drain pipe which goes into the wall. First of all, all throughout the connections in this drain there are leaks at all of the PVC nuts. Will this be solved by using teflon tape? I didn't use any at first.

Also as the sink drains it make a "glugging" noise for about 20 seconds. From my research I am guess this is either a clogged drain, or something to do with a vent. I am not even sure how to check for a vent. Can someone give me some advice of where to go from here.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I'm told, it sounds like either you didn't have the tapered washer installed correctly, or you didn't tighten the nut up enough or both. I'm not a pro...

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Kevin,
PVC drain assemblies are made to just hand-tighten, but you have to have the plastic gasket turned right, as Jim said. Put the beveled edge toward the pipe and the flat side of the gasket toward the nut.
You don't need teflon tape to seal them.
If all else fails, you can smear a little bit of clear silicone caulk on the gaskets and threads and that will seal it for sure, and then you can still take them apart easily later when necessary.
As far as the sluggish draining, it's most likely just gunk buildup in the drain pipe, which is more prevalent in a kitchen sink drain with grease, food particles, etc. Easiest way to keep them cleaned out it is with a good non-caustic drain cleaner like DrainCare. It won't harm the sink or pipes, but it will eat all organic gunk out overnight.
You just run warm water into the drain, pour in the DrainCare, let it sit overnight, and then flush it out the next morning with very hot water. Just follow the directions on the jug. If it's really sluggish, you may have to do it more than once, but it WILL work.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited:

kevin86

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike. I did install the gasket the way that you mentioned. I'm wondering if it is just gunk build up in the drain. This sink hasn't been used in probably 10 years and when i took the old trap apart it seemed like a wooly mammoth was growing in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks