Kitchen drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

kratt5

Reaction score
Does everyone agree this pipe is rusted out? It's a kitchen drain line that runs under concrete foundation. It's 2 inch cast iron pipe probably original construction from the 70's. Picture is from a scope during pipe inspection. I'm looking at abandoning that section of pipe by cutting and capping it at the main line and rerouting. I know there are pipe liner options too. I have more pictures if needed.

Snapshot000008.jpg

Attachments

• Snapshot000005.jpg
    Snapshot000005.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 161

kratt5

Reaction score
Kitchen lines always fail first. It looks like replacement time to me.
Thanks! I'm thinking the same thing. Why do kitchen lines fail first? Chemicals? I live in a more rural area so rerouting is probably going to be the way to go. Haven't been able to find a local plumber than can do pipe inserts. Not sure pipe inserts are an option given how much is rusted out in certain areas.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen it in homes and in restaurants. Especially bars. Anything acid and surely the chemicals.
Cast and steel will rust out. Copper will give you issues too on kitchens and toilets if they are not flushed every time.

pipe_chlorine.jpg

From a toilet drain. They didn't like to flush at night.

And plastic, like ABS can have cracked fittings when the home compresses and puts stress on the fittings.
Often each floor can lose an inch after the home completely dries out. I found that out the hard way when building homes. You wire nut up the furnace controls and open a few windows to let the moisture out of the home. Otherwise, when you incur shrinkage, the drywall starts to fall off the walls.

sd-crossroads-02.jpg

hilltop-07.jpg

kratt5

Reaction score
Kitchen lines always fail first. It looks like replacement time to me.

An old steel drain line.

What's the build up in the steel drain line? I didn't know that about the plastic fittings in a new house.

The reroute of the kitchen drain line back to the septic tank will require two 90 degree turns. I know I can soften that with two 45 degree connectors at each 90 degree turn or even use a smooth curve connector in place of the two 45s. I think any of the three options will work as long as I have enough slope in the pipe run. Any thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Waste lines on the horizonal are always 45's and long turn 90's.
Vertical to horizontal, long turn 90 or 45's
Horizontal to vertical, you can use medium 90's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks