Kinetico Waterplant works on 1 side only

Users who are viewing this thread

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I recently took my Waterplant in for repair, as the brine wasn't sucking into the unit. After the authorized repair service replaced the inner workings of the head, I find that only one side of the unit works. He says it can take up to 6 weeks for all the gears to line up and function properly. I guess the gears can't be marked (like when removing a distributor from a vehicle). Is this accurate information? I watched him do the repair, and all parts seem to operate properly. The unit cycles properly... it just doesn't draw brine on one side. Has anyone had this experience or is familiar with this issue?

By the way, I use potassium, and it solidified for the first time before I took it in for repair. I've used this unit for over 20 years.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
He gave you a load of BS saying it takes 6 week to line up. If you are getting a draw on one tank but not the other, a brine check ball (stem on new style) is out of place. They are located between the level 5 & main base.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I viewed the balls myself and saw them sitting properly, one on each pillar. I can take it apart and look at it again, if you believe that truly is the problem. When I remove the levels, the balls will probably fall off, so I won't be able to see if it may have fallen off sooner. Are you saying all I need to do is to replace the balls, or should I check something else out, also? Are you saying the location of the gears at the top is irrelevant?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the system draw for one tank but not the other, I am positive a check ball is out of place. I've pulled hundreds of Kineticos apart and never had to "align" the gears or pawls. You do have to make sure the pawls are correctly placed but it does not matter if the unit is in a cycle or not. The only other thing is that if the resin in one tanks needs to be regened and you put the meter disc in so it needs to run several hundreds gallons before it trips a regen, you will have hard water before the regen. Remendy? Regen both tanks.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Other than placing the balls on top of the pillars, what other checks do you recommend? Are there specific flaws with the balls or pillars I need to observe? I observed the balls placed properly on the pillars, so what may have caused one to fall off? What do you mean by making sure the pawls are correctly placed? I figure I can remove the head without opening the top with the metering disc. Thank you for your help.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen and heard of people placing some of the pawls in improperly. Not saying I think yours is in wrong. While place the head on the main base, they could have bumped one of the check balls off it's tower. Done it myself lots of times.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I'd appreciate a link to a picture of the pawls properly installed, so I can check this and make sure mine look right. I'll be extra careful when putting the head on the main base, after putting the balls on the towers, but is there anything else you'd suggest I look at while the head is off? I'll double check the balls with a magnifying glass to make sure they aren't out of round or cracked, though I didn't see any malformations when I last looked at them. Should I run something through the opening at the top of the tower to make sure there is no blockage? Exactly how do the balls and towers control the brine suction? I'd love to understand how each part functions to make the system work properly. Would you suggest I take off the head in one piece rather than layer by layer, to avoid any potential damage to the gaskets? Thank you for the assistance.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Before cleaning a.jpg
Beginning cleaning a.jpg
Clean head a.jpg
Continuing cleaning a.jpg
Continuing cleaning 2 a.jpg
Cylinders a.jpg
Sorry for the delay, but I've been confronted with too many unexpected, time consuming challenges this past year, including the last one where my well pump needed to be replaced. I finally got around to rebuilding this unit after the pump change introduced fine clay particles to the system and completely shut it down. I rebuilt it and cleaned it. I believe I may have found the reason only one side worked before, as one of the balls was coated with silicone lube and stuck to everything. When I started up the system, it worked fine for 2 seconds and then the water flow stopped abruptly. I advanced the dial to the next cycle point, and nothing happened. Water use seems to be turning the gears, as I notice the start point being 180° off over time, but there is no water flow. Before I tear it apart again, I want to run this by the experts on this forum to see if you have suggestions of specific areas to look at. Also, it appears I didn't line the dial up exactly as it was (as shown in the pictures). I'm not sure if this has impacted the way it runs. If you have any suggestions on how to make sure the dial is set precisely, please share. More pictures to follow.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a rocker arm that is placed on the tower in level 4. With the rocker missing, you will not get any water out of the unit while in service. The rocker prevents both pistons from close at the same time. My email address is affordablewtr@aol.com

KineticoUser

Reaction score
It started properly but then stopped abruptly. Could the force of the water entering the system have knocked the rocker off? I had drained the water out to make it easier to work with. Should I very slowly open the valve to start the unit?

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Kin all levels.jpg

I remember specifically checking the rocker before assembling the unit. Either I installed it improperly or it fell off when I put the assembly together. I gather you are talking about part #227 in the attached diagram. Hopefully, the problem will be obvious when I take the unit apart again on Saturday, but I'll pay attention to any other pointers you may have to offer. Thank you.

Also, should I take the top level apart and attempt to line the dials up better, or does it make no difference?

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes item #227 is called the interlock. I have always known that if no water at all comes out while in a service postion, the interlock is broken or missing. If you have questions while working on it, call me at 352-454-2992. Keep us posted.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Thank you. Will you be available on Saturday, if I have questions? What about the dial on top being slightly off from where it was? Will that be a problem that needs to be fixed?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no kind of timing on the Kinetico valves. So it does not matter the order or placement of the gears, pawls or disc. Yes, I'm available Saturday. I will be in a location that sometimes gets bad reception so if I don't answer at first, try again.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Thank you. My home is just as bad when it comes to cell reception. Let's hope it is just a simple fix for this Waterplant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks