Keep or replace porcelain cast iron alcove tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

northerngirlWI

Reaction score
We are remodeling our main bathroom. Our white alcove tub installed in new construction 1967-68, semi-custom, looks in fine shape. Our area's best refinisher (commercial) inspected it and said he only saw minor scratches/dings that are repairable and recommended not refinishing it. We believe it is a porcelain cast-iron tub and I'll know once I clean out the closet to access the water valves :). Because we are removing the chalked tile surround to the studs many people tell us to replace the tub, to be safe. However we hate to remove a quality tub.

If your experience includes tubs of this era, what else do we need to know before making this decision? Could the tub be porcelain steel? Again once I gain access to the shut-offs I will investigate.

Thank you for considering our dilemma and sharing your expertise.
DHale

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking in the overflow hole, you can tell whether it's thin steel, or cast. Cast is much thicker. If you knock with your knuckle, it's a duller thud, not the ping of steel.
Normally a picture is all we need to know.
I like to replace the tub, mainly because even in good shape, they don't look as good once the new tile goes in. The tile now looks great, and the tub looks aged.
If it's steel, you should pull it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks