I've got a problem with my pressure tank, 1.25 gallons of drawdown on a 20 gallon tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Dis360

Reaction score
Was there any sediment when you drained the tank or did it just start after the pump was turned back on? If only after, the sediment is probably coming directly from the well and is not an accumulation in the tank. If it does not clear up with hard pumping, you might need to add a dole valve to limit the pump GPM.

I don't recall much if any sediment coming out when I was emptying the tank, it was only once it was re-pressurized, in fact as the tank cycles the pump on water coming out turns brown almost instantly then goes away once the pump cuts off. From what I understand my well is 240 feet deep and the water level is 70 feet from the surface, I don't know how deep the actual pump goes down. The pump installed has quite a bit more flow, 13GPM over the previous pumps that have been over the years, those were 6 and 7 GPM but I don't know how they acted because I didn't live here then.

Dis360

Reaction score
If it does not clear up with hard pumping, you might need to add a dole valve to limit the pump GPM.

Didn't know about dole valves, looks like an excellent way to fix an pump running too many GPM. Would also fix my 20 gallon pressure tank being too small for 13GPM pump. If reduced to 7 or 8 GPM I would be close to a 6.8GPM drawdown.
2021-03-19 17_38_44-Neo-Pure Stainless Steel Flow Restrictor 1_ FNPT – Fresh Water Systems.png

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...flow-restrictor-1-fnpt?variant=15107628400683

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Question ???? > For a simple sediment filter ...... should it be on the well side before the pressure tank ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Question ???? > For a simple sediment filter ...... should it be on the well side before the pressure tank ?
No. It needs to be downstream of the pressure switch or else a clogged filter could create too much pressure rupturing a pipe or deadhead the pump causing a meltdown.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Would also fix my 20 gallon pressure tank being too small for 13GPM pump.
By using a Cycle Stop Valve, the pressure tank will fill at only 1 GPM which will usually allow a 4.5-gallon pressure tank to be used.

Your existing 20-gallon tank may be used but all of the water the tank now contains will need to be used before the pump becomes activated to provide constant pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
By using a Cycle Stop Valve, the pressure tank will fill at only 1 GPM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but that depends on what pressure the CSV is set to. It will fill at the max available flow rate up until it reaches that preset and only reduce to 1 GPM above the setpoint. A dole valve reduces the flow for the entire cycle. If the end game is to always limit the GPM to keep sediment from getting motivated, the dole valve does that.

Do keep in mind that if you exceed the GPM draw the dole valve is limiting, you will have a loss of pressure whereas the CSV will let the GPM increase while trying to maintain a constant pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks