Is this venting correct for a sink below a window?

Users who are viewing this thread

Adam McBride

Reaction score
I am remodeling my home and the plumber said this how they vent an island sink, and it would work and be in code. There is a window above the sink, and they said this was the reason they chose this method. They said it was some kind of closed loop vent...ok.

1) Is it right?
2) If not, what does it violate? I am in Texas, is there some kind of code? I want to show the contractor why its wrong so he understands where Im coming from.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20210729_203046231.jpg
    PXL_20210729_203046231.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
1) Is it right?
No.
2) If not, what does it violate? I am in Texas, is there some kind of code? I want to show the contractor why its wrong so he understands where Im coming from.
Trap is not vented. It is so bad that he will be ashamed to argue otherwise.

There is some kind of code in Texas, but not state-wide. Most is IPC, but some cities are UPC. What you have there is wildly wrong in both.

On second thought, it is unlikely the guy is a plumber.

Adam McBride

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Ill talk to the contractor and let him know I dont think its right and see where the conversation goes.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are in IPC territory, you could use an AAV. Easy peasy.

If you are in San Antonio, Houston or Austin, that is UPC. You may need to get a variance to allow the AAV.

Your "plumber" was trying to fake a "Chicago loop".

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam McBride

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Originally there was a pipe that ran through the roof, something happened and the pipe broke or fell because it was sitting in the wall and the roofers just covered the hole. This was all years before I bought.

The plumber came back and ran a pipe into the attic through the same hole and put in an AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks