Is this tub drain assembly allowed?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyAustin

Reaction score
My mother-in-law has a rental property that reported having a super slow leak coming from the bathroom drain into the basement. All of the plumbing has access from the basement with ease. I can see the gasket between the tub is starting to fail, no problem. But is this setup of plumbing allowed? Thanks in advance
IMG_6163.png
IMG_6167.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) The rubber coupling is the wrong type, for indoor use the shielded type that is a bit over 2" long is required. You can see that the tub side of the coupling has displaced downward because the coupling is unshielded.

2) The horizontal offset upstream of the trap is allowed. A double 45 offset would be better, but that joist is already overnotched.

3) I guess since it's accessible the use of the slip joint fittings is allowed.

Cheers, Wayne

JohnnyAustin

Reaction score
1) The rubber coupling is the wrong type, for indoor use the shielded type that is a bit over 2" long is required. You can see that the tub side of the coupling has displaced downward because the coupling is unshielded.

2) The horizontal offset upstream of the trap is allowed. A double 45 offset would be better, but that joist is already overnotched.

3) I guess since it's accessible the use of the slip joint fittings is allowed.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks!

It's a tub with a built-in overflow, so my thought is to replace the drain with a vertical run into a p-trap then into a shielded furnco to the copper line... this would eliminate the horizontal zig zag... any issue with that approach?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that rubber coupling is also 2" IPS or plastic but not copper look at how bunched up it is . I agree with wayne I think the rest of it might be technicaly ok , Johnny Austin says the overflow is built in So Id leave it alone other than the rubber Coupling

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks