Is this pipe separation?

is this pipe separation that I need to repair?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

BarnPipes

Reaction score
I scoped my sewer main. Started at my exterior clean out, about 10 feet up the line, just past a 90 I see something that looks like pipe separation... or possibly an old 2inch clay/castiron pipe converted into a 4 inch plastic pipe. This section of pipe has caused clogs and backups over the past few years. It seems to clog in this same section once a year, maybe every 16 months or so.

I am trying to figure out if this is a broken/separated pipe, or just a section of old castiron from under house (built in 1954) that is connected to new exterior plastic 4 inch.

Video posted here:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is not too easy to tell, but it does not look like a wye from another branch drain.

You might consider having the pipe cleaned with a full diameter root cutter and see how that works out.

BarnPipes

Reaction score
It is not too easy to tell, but it does not look like a wye from another branch drain.

You might consider having the pipe cleaned with a full diameter root cutter and see how that works out.

Thank you. I had it cleaned with a root cutter which solved the clog. I’m trying to understand why it keeps clogging every year and if there is an underlining issue I need to fix. This scope video is after the root cutter cleared the clog.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any old part of clay or cast iron pipe, roots will always work themselves into the pipe through the joints even if it is under the house. Any bump in the road to the main that can catch solids will eventually build up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thank you. I had it cleaned with a root cutter which solved the clog. I’m trying to understand why it keeps clogging every year and if there is an underlining issue I need to fix. This scope video is after the root cutter cleared the clog.

The reason I recommended the root cutter is because I can see roots in your video.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks