Is this pex too chewed to expand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stratosproject

Reaction score
Looking for some experienced advice.

I replaced most of the junk Accor Flowtite shut off valves in my house with some quality Dahls. I used my expander on all of them and everything turned out great. All I have remaining is my 3 toilets. I had decent runs of pex on everything up until this point, however the toilets are another story. Including what's burried in the Accor fittings themselves, I've got 2" from the positive stop on the valves to the wall. I used a pvc cutter to remove all of the previous fittings making sure to not damage a thing... all of the pex was still a bit chewed up from the builder install. No idea how they managed to chew up pex while pushing on a fitting. But it was Lennar, so... I fully expect toilet stubs would be the same.

See attached pic of some crap. This is what was behind all of my Accors.

Would you recommend:
1. Leaving them be until I get a leak and then take the risk
2. Expanding in new valves (unsure if expanding would exacerbate the scrapes/cuts)
3. Crimping new valves

TIA!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt go with 1 but if not very old I wouldnt do anything less than 5 or 6 years
2 might not be good to have the weakened pipe from cuts in it under constant stress.
3 crimp might be best in this case.
Havent a lot of experiance dealing with trying to keep scarred up PEX in service just seems the crimp might be better

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks