Is there any code requirement when we cover popcorn ceiling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
What should we use to cover popcorn ceiling in old house?

can we use drywall if yes what size thick? 1/4" is ok or 1/2"

is there any code requirement as to what you can and what you can not do when you cover it?

also products like fiberock has any additional advantage over conventional drywall?

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
If you are trying to get rid of the popcorn you know it will scrape right off? Then it just a matter of cleaning up the mess, smoothing out the ceiling and repainting.

Honestly the worst part of the process is cleaning up the scraped off popcorn, it does get everywhere.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4" stuff might not be stiff enough to bridge any minor imperfections of variations of height, and create a wavy surface. You might have a better chance using 3/8" or 1/2" stuff.

It's cheap to test for asbestos, the mail-in kits are often in the $10 range. If it doesn't contain any asbestos, it does usually come off fairly easily. Cover the floor, use plain water in a spray bottle. Get a small section wet. Using a putty knife, scrape it off. When I remodeled my first floor, I removed all of it throughout. Don't think it really took much more than a couple of hours. It's definitely easier doing that than installing new sheet materials up there. If it does contain asbestos, covering is the best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks