Is PVC pipe sometimes screwed into coupling without being threaded first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Is unthreaded PVC pipe sometimes screwed into coupling without being threaded first? In my recent work, the pitless hangs from 1 inch pipe that is screwed into a hanger bracket. The hanger pipe is 1 inch-- I presume schedule 80. It is possible that one end was pre-threaded, but the other end was cut to length with a hacksaw while I watched through a window.

I saw nothing that I recognized as a threading die in a handle. There could have been a die with no handle. Maybe it was grabbed with a pipe wrench, and my view was blocked at that point. I did not see the white cuttings of PVC on the ground that I would expect.

That hanger pipe does not carry water, but it does pass a tool to engage the pitless to the casing.

1. Do some people screw unthreaded PVC into a female 1 inch NPT stainless steel thread without threading in advance?
2. If so, what is your opinion of that?

Reach4

Reaction score
For the drop pipe on a water well it is common around here and many places to use threaded schedule 80 PVC 20 ft long pipe with couplers. Some come pre-threaded. Some have a PVC bell with a female thread on one end.

I understand schedule 120 and maybe more are used when more strength is needed.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry, sch 80 & heavier can be threaded with no problem

Reach, I have never tried to force unthreaded sch 80 into a coupling, I kinda doubt it would go

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut and threaded a 10 ft piece of 1 1/4" sch120 PVC pipe on a job tonight. It threads very easily. In fact I don't turn the theader I just turn the PVC pipe with a 12" pipe wrench.

You can buy ridgid dies specifically for threading PVC. I have one drop head with PVC dies for 1". However regular dies work OK.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I use a Rigid hand threader without the handle. Just have to go a little ways then back off to keep from shaving off big chunks. I like metallic couplings either galv or SS, and I just run it dry until it pops a couple of times. I think running it dry with the metallic couplings gives it less chance of coming unscrewed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks