Iron treatment and air in lines

Users who are viewing this thread

JedTheHumanoid

Reaction score
I moved to a new house almost a year ago. I am on well water and the system consist of:

- well intake to basement - venturi/nozzle (to draw in air for the iron treatment) - bladder tank -- aerator tank for iron treatment - iron filter tank - sediment filter - water softener - UV system - distribution to house

There were signs of historic iron contamination in the water (stained toilets, etc) when we moved in. Also, there had been air in the water lines constantly.

A few months after moving, our water started coming out of the faucets as a dark brown/rust colour. At this point, I found the old documentation that came with the iron treatment system (a Watersoft Provectr), and followed the instructions to decongest the filtration media by: connecting tubing to the Schrader valve on the venturi/nozzle, and inserting the other end into a jug of household bleach; turning a faucet so that the pump starts and draws bleach in the system. I did this for about a half gallon of bleach (the instructions say to do a whole gallon). At this same time, I noticed that the motor to control the backwash settings on the unit was not working at all--so for an unknown amount of time (it could have been for months, as far as I know because I was ignorant to the iron treatment system until this happened), the unit was never backwashed. So, this was replaced and the unit was backwashed.

After doing this, it seemed to fix the air in the lines for several months. However, it has just recently started to manifest again. At this point, there is considerable air coming from the faucets in the morning, but no air for the remainder of the day. I am thinking of running bleach through the system again in hopes that it will clean out the venturi and filter media and remove the problem. This *might* have been what worked last time, but it also could have been the fix to the automatic backwash.

I have not seen any recommendations to draw in bleach through the venturi in any other of these forum topics. However, it is explicitly stated in the owner's manual as a service to perform occasionally. Is this safe? And to take it one step further, what if I used a product like Super Iron Out instead (and then thoroughly flushed the system afterwards)? Would Iron Out by safe to run through the filter media? The media is proprietary blend for the Provectr system consisting of neutralizer, birm and calcite.

I am also noticing that there are still slight iron stains occurring on our toilets, etc. I have no idea when the filter media for the iron system was last replaced. Assuming I want to stick with an aeration system, could I replace the media with something else, or more effective? It is impossible for me to purchase the proprietary Provectr blend. Could I just replace with Katalox or something similar ?s
20181010_183858.jpg
20181010_183905.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks