Iron Pipe to Brass Shower Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
I'm installing a Chicago Faucet 2-handle shower valve in my new shower. It's brass, and now I need to run a supply line up to the shower head. The shower head is an old Speakman Model #1 and the angled pipe feeding it and passing through the tiled wall is chrome plated brass. Will there be a problem using galvanized iron pipe due to dissimilar metals in long-term contact? With brass at the shower head and brass at the shower valve I hate to mess things up with iron pipe in between. But would that be a problem?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id sweat a 1/2 inch male adapter and a hi ear 90 on a piece of pipe the proper length and screw it on

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes no reason to use soft copper just a shower riser you could go cpvc with proper fittings and strapping at the shower arm.
You could build it as I said with copper take it to a plumber and for nothing or next to nothing have him solder for you?
Galvie or even brass how much is a 2 ft piece of pipe and 90 degree ell?
I dont see a challenge I just grown to hate galvie but even brass probebly cheap as heck compared to having a plumber come out for a 1/2 hour gotta be less than 100 bucks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why use a 2 handle shower valve? Unless you're replacing one and dont want to mess with the tile work. They do make escutcheon plates to cover the old 2 handle shower valve holes but using a single handle pressure balance shower valve. Which are a requirement in all plumbing codes.

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Cause I like the old 2-handle ones. The single handle ones all seem to be made of cheap plastic. This Chicago Faucet is solid brass. I'm out in the boonies, and we don't have no stinkin' code out here, except, "Does it do the job"? If the answer is yes, then its all good. Actually, we do have to have a septic tank inspection, but that's it. No other inspections required.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a device however that allows a 2 handle valve to be code compliant, which is a pressure balance valve. One type gets installed at the shower valve and another type that we often install at the water heater. They prevent temperature swings if the water pressure drops from the cold side to prevent the shower temp from spiking.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with tuttles, but wondering how you plan to proceed with the shower riser ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks